1. METS TRADE NOLAN RYAN FOR JIM FREGOSI, 1971
Good thing Mets won in ’86, or we’d be talking about the Curse of the Nolan.
2. YANKEES FRITZ PETERSON AND MIKE KEKICH TRADE WIVES, 1973
Pinstripes sure were more swinging in those days.
3. NBC BREAKS INTO SIXTH GAME OF KNICKS-ROCKETS PLAYOFFS TO SHOW O.J.’S WHITE-BRONCO CHASE, 1994
Knicks were winning before the interruption, losing after. No break for Starks’s 2-for-18 show in next game, unfortunately.
4. METS MAKE CLEON JONES APOLOGIZE TO HIS WIFE, 1975
Cleon gets caught in the back of a van with a (white) woman; M. Donald Grant, then Mets owner, arranges public contrition.
5. MIKE TYSON FIGHTS MITCH “BLOOD” GREEN IN FRONT OF DAPPER DAN’S AT MIDNIGHT ON 125th STREET, 1988
6. CHARLIE WARD EXPRESSES RESERVATIONS ABOUT THE JEWISH PEOPLE, 2001
They’re “stubborn” and “have blood on their hands.” The Jewish lobby is overrated if this guy is still around.
7. KEYSHAWN JOHNSON REFERS TO WAYNE CHREBET AS “THE TEAM MASCOT,” 1997
8. GEORGE STEINBRENNER PAYS OFF HOWIE SPIRA TO SPY ON DAVE WINFIELD, 1990
Boss suspended for two years, giving his team a chance to build a winner.
9. CHARLES SMITH’S FAILED PUTBACKS, 1993
Dunk the ball, schmuck.
10. BILLY MARTIN PUNCHES A MARSHMALLOW SALESMAN, 1979
Evidently, there was no milquetoast salesman in the room.
• Greatest Sports Moments: They shot, they scored! And the best of all possible sports towns couldn’t get enough of it. (35th anniversary issue of New York Magazine)