- Brooklyn's Ascension
These days, it's jaded Manhattanites who are making the slog out to Talde, Blanca, La Vara, and more.
- Foraging Is Now an Urban Obsession
The grand chefs seem to find their inspiration while hiking through meadows or curing esoteric tubers.
- The Comfort Food of the Moment Is Sandwiches
Chez Sardine, Back Forty West, and Parm embrace messy, nourishing, high-end sandwiches.
- Change Is the New Stasis
To keep up in today’s fickle culinary landscape, restaurants are adapting at dizzying speed.
- All the Good Italian Joints Are Downtown (And Tiny)
Perla, Angolo Soho, L'Apicio, and Il Buco Alimentari e Vineria pack trendy pastas into small rooms.
- Asian Hipster Cuisine Has Replaced Asian Fusion Cuisine
An endless, ever-expanding list of noodle joints, neo-dive bars, and comfort-food ventures.
- Old-School French Food Has Risen From the Dead
Some of the most trend-conscious eaters in town are booking tables at NoMad, Boulud Sud, and Calliope.
- Tasting Menus Are the New,
As ambitious young cooks compete for eaters' attention, the options have never been more profuse.
- Breakfast Has Gone Global
The city is awash in so many inventive creations that it’s hard for breakfast mavens to keep track.
- Uptown Extravagance Isn’t Quite Back
But $55 steaks are gradually reappearing. As are haute pasta outlets and excellent gastropubs.