It's a bad sign that the first thing we wondered while trying to make our way into the Rock & Republic show tonight was, "Is this the new Heatherette?" The answer is not quite, if only because the show didn't feature the campy deliciousness of assless pants.
Socialite and CIRCA creative director Fabiola Beracasa will file regular reports on her Fashion Week experience. The Fab life is taxing, so we're still catching up with her weekend. Coming soon: Monday.
On Saturday, I was sent two bags full of Rock & Republic jeans (which I love) to wear to the show. I tried on about ten pairs until I finally decided on jean shorts and black tights. I went to the show with two of my close friends from London — Camilla Al-Fayed and Jamie Diner. The show started very late, and it was well, let's just say we had fun.
12:30 a.m. We all went to Bungalow 8 where we met up with basically all of New York! We hung out until 4 a.m., and then we all went home to get some much-needed sleep.
READ MORE »
From left: Sari Gueron, Marchesa, Thakoon.Getty Images and Imaxtree.com
Feathers are lending a touch of exotic whimsy to the fall collections. Sari Gueron added edge to her sweeping black evening gown with tuffs of black feathers at the neck and hemline. Thakoon punched up his cocktail attire with a feathered knee-length skirt. Marchesa's plumage — the most understated — was offered along the bust for a beautiful, swanlike effect. And while Rock & Republic's Muppet dress did offer an entire skirt made of peacock fringe, it's good to remember less is more.
READ MORE »
Backstage at Rock & Republic on Saturday, model May Andersen talked with New York's Jada Yuan about anger management, annoying stewardesses, and, of course, skinny models. Thin models, says May, are getting lumped together with anorexic models a completely different breed: "You're always going to have girls that are starving themselves, and that's not naturally skinny girls' faults." Of course not.
Watch the video.
New York's cameras were up front at the Rock & Republic after-party on Saturday night to capture British rapper Lady Sovereign's take on the Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant." Our hearts belong to Johnny Rotten, but Lady S. adds some Fashion Week irony the original never even saw coming.
Watch more Fall 2007 Fashion Week videos.
If you had told us yesterday that in 24 hours we'd be privy to a fashion show that made Kimora Lee Simmons look like Michael Kors, we'd have patted you on the back, poured you a cup of coffee, and called you a cab, because clearly you needed to go sleep it off.
READ MORE »
• Now this hasn't happened in a while: Rapper Fabolous is in stable condition at Bellevue after getting shot in a Manhattan parking garage. The would-be assassin and his three friends, who fled in a vehicle, were quickly arrested after running a red light. Update: Now Fabolous is under arrest as well. Developing, needless to say. [AP via amNY]
• The Gubernator toured Bloomie's turf yesterday, not two weeks after the mayor's Cali visit. Says the Times in the vintage Times deadpan, "The two men seem to be genuinely fond of each other." We know they're both post-ideological moderate Republicans and all, but this love-in is giving us the heebie-jeebies. [NYT]
• You may remember Dean Faiello as the guy who allegedly (a) impersonated a doctor, (b) botched a cosmetic surgery, (c) killed the patient to cover it up, and (d) buried her under his New Jersey house. Well, feel free to remove "allegedly" from that litany. Faiello pleaded guilty in exchange for a twenty-year prison stint. [NYDN]
• Queens assemblyman and union leader Brian McLaughlin is expected to surrender today to federal corruption charges. The rap is a rather shopworn classic: contractor bid-rigging, with a side of possible expense-account abuse. [WNBC]
• Finally, in case anyone cares, and some of you must, Rangers 4, Devils 2. Oh, come on, people, it's one of the most storied rivalries in all of sports. Or so we're told. [Fox Sports]
READ MORE »