Name: Lorraine Bracco Age: 53 Job: Actress. Bracco has followed up her iconic role in The Sopranos with a stint on Lipstick Jungle as a whip-cracking publisher. Last night, Seminole Hard Rock Entertainment celebrated her Bracco Wines. Neighborhood: Chelsea
Who's your favorite New Yorker, living or dead, real or fictional?
What's the best meal you've eaten in New York? Empire Diner's roasted-chicken plate.
In one sentence, what do you actually do all day in your job?
Think and/or worry.
• Bear Stearns followed up yesterday's Morgan Stanley announcement with its own $850 million loss, again the first quarterly deficit in the bank's history. [DealBook/NYT]
• Is former Bear Stearns exec Ralph Cioffi, the guy behind the two Bear funds that imploded this summer, the main culprit in the subprime crisis? New reporting suggests his team set off the plague of dirty debt that cost Citi and other top banks billions. Oh, and Cioffi's under investigation for pulling out a couple mil before anyone else got the chance. [Business Week]
• What a mensch: David Rubenstein, the former lawyer turned Citadel private-equity master, decided to keep his new copy of the Magna Carta on display at the National Archives. Rubenstein paid $21.3 million — chump change for a guy worth around $2.5 billion. [Law Blog/WSJ]
• Howard Stern, good for the gays? A longtime lesbian listener calls Stern "one of the most pro-gay media personalities in the country." [Gay.com]
• Murdoch finally gets his giant puffy hands on the Journal today at 10 a.m. The only question is just how much of the Bancroft family will try to show their noble intentions, however laughably inept, by registering a protest vote against the deal. [WSJ]
• A great new/old debate: Should Democrats go on Fox News? [Mixed Media/Portfolio, NYO]
Ethan Hawke is dating the woman who used to be his kids' nanny. Mayor Bloomberg hit Joey Pantoliano with his car. Former Condé Nast chairman Steve Florio is still in the hospital despite having suffered a stroke two weeks ago. Former Sopranos star Aida Turturro left Stereo the other night after finding out that the stagehands' strike was over. Fergie took the stage twenty minutes late at a Wilhelmina party because of a wardrobe malfunction. A fourteen-acre property in Southampton is going on sale for $59 million.
The Sopranos may have ended, but the cast is still partying. "The West Wing never partied like The Sopranos, trust me when I tell you," Steve Schirripa told us at the Quill Awards at Jazz at Lincoln Center last night. "So half the cast lives downtown, we'll call, we'll check in. We have dinners, go out for a couple drinks," he said. What are their favorite hangouts? "Oh, that I can't tell you," he said. Dare we guess Little Italy? "Il Cortile's one of our hangouts. You can go to see a Soprano there. It's on 125 Mulberry." And we thought we were just being cute! So what does he think of another known partier, Britney Spears? "I think Britney Spears is absolutely insane. I think she — I know she calls the paparazzi, she tells them she's going down to Starbucks. Why doesn't she stay home? She's got all of these handlers and she can just stay home — let them go to Starbucks, let them go to Dunkin' Donuts. Why is she always going for the coffee? Stay home. Let somebody else — she's always got her hands full. There's cigarettes, the phone, the drink. Doesn't she have lackeys to hold her stuff?" Yeah, really! Brit, honey, put that Jamie Lynn to work. —Amy OdellFind out about Gay Talese's guilty pleasures in our complete coverage of The Quills Awards.