Fashion Week kicked off with Thursday night's Fashion Rocks concert at Radio City Music Hall, which airs tonight on CBS. Jada Yuan caught everything from Wednesday's preshow to last night's after-parties.
- Elton John got the week off to an early start with a benefit concert at Jazz at Lincoln Center Wednesday night. He finished every song, including his new ones, with self-congratulatory fist-pumps and victory dances. The audience (which included Petra Nemcova, Bridget Moynahan, Erika Christensen, Natasha Bedingfield, and Ron Perelman) was less enthusiastic. John then skipped his own after-party, heading to Morgans basement bar in Murray Hill for the private birthday party of Babydaddy of the Scissor Sisters, where he hung with Justin Bond of Kiki & Herb and Scissor Sisters singer Jake Shears.
- At the main event, Drea de Matteo, who stood next to Scott Weiland, got booed after goofing up her TelePrompted lines. "I'm really good on TV, I swear!" she apologized. (The audience had a right to be grumpy because the concert will be televised, there were endless delays between sets and tiring demands for "lots of applause" whenever the cameras went live.)
- Kanye West then ceded his entire set to Farnsworth Bentley, former manservant of Sean "Diddy" Combs, who proved he's as adept at hip-hop as at holding someone else's umbrella. The best part? Bentley's dance moves, in which he mimics getting his shoes shined and shopping for bespoke suits.
- At the official after-party, apl.de.ap of the Black Eyed Peas, who's debuting a line of fitted shirts and Filipino-influenced designs this year (and whose group performed at Fashion Rocks), told us about his time in New York. "I took a walk in Central Park and Damian Marley was playing a concert outside. I didn't know nobody, and so I thought maybe I'd just hang outside and listen. But I went up to the people at the door, and they were like, 'Oh, my God! Black Eyed Peas!' and got me some backstage passes. I was like, 'Score!'"
- Fergie lamented that she has to miss the rest of Fashion Week because the Peas are on tour. Eventually she'll design her own line, Gwen Stefani style. In the meantime, what does she listen to when she's getting dressed in the morning? "Sometimes Gnarls Barkley, but today, silence. I'm embracing calm now because there's so much chaos in my life, with touring and the new album. I've gotten really into watching shows like Everybody Loves Raymond on repeat. It kind of zones me out at the end of the day."