All Fashion Week we’ve pitted the bright-eyed rookies against the familiar runway beauties to determine the Model of the Week. Once again, our complex algorithm took into account the number of each model’s openings and closings at big shows as well as a general buzz factor in the tents.
1. Karlie Kloss Kloss clomped down 30 runways this week, including 3.1 phillip lim, Vera Wang, and Narciso Rodriguez. While Tyra Banks may be mocking her walk, designers are loving it. She closed Marc by Marc Jacobs, opened Carolina Herrera, and scored both spots at Doo.Ri.
2. Jourdan Dunn won the conspicuous honor of being one of the few diverse models in an otherwise very white season. The London-born model walked twenty shows, including Marc Jacobs, Vera Wang, Zac Posen, and Proenza Schouler. Though she didn’t open or close any catwalks, Dunn did buck an unsettling trend of paler and paler models. Let’s hope more designers catch on.
3. Ali Stephens Yes, we know Stephens appeared in only one show, but that was her good call. For her first New York Fashion Week booking, she declined over 30 offers to instead open Calvin Klein. Avoiding overexposure, this chocolate-cake-eating, MTV-watching eleventh-grader has us eager for more of her long-legged walk in London.
4. Irina Kulikova Last year’s button-nosed winner couldn’t hold her No. 1 spot this time around. But it’s not for lack of trying she walked in 22 shows. The pale Russian’s highlights this week were opening Marc Jacobs and Donna Karan and closing Peter Som and Proenza Schouler.
5. Abbey Lee Walking in 29 shows would be a triumph for any girl. However, Lee turned even more heads debuting in New York with a pierced nose and nipple and a Lauren Hutton–esque gap tooth. The 20-year-old Australian racked up spots at Oscar de la Renta, Halston, and in her week’s shining moment, closed Rodarte. Model fanatics may just have found their irreverent beauty icon in the otherwise rather timid, tepid, and teenage-catwalker climate.
6. Olga Sherer While her flame-colored hair caught attention all week long, Sherer’s boldest move was closing Ralph Lauren. As Lauren usually saves that spot for campaign girls, we have to wonder if an advertising contract is on the way. If not, she’ll surely be seeing some action from one of the other 25 designers she walked for.
7. Suvi Koponen Koponen received a little model-to-model blessing early in the week, scoring the last spot at Alexander Wang, a show styled by Erin Wasson. She went on the walk in 23 more, including opening Carolina Herrera, closing DKNY, and doing both honors at Hervé Léger.
8. Heidi Mount In a week when most of America was only focused on one blonde Heidi (Klum and her Project Runway finale), the sleepy-eyed Mount managed to make us notice another. Of the 24 runways she sashayed down, she opened three (Rodarte, Nicole Miller, Ohne Titel) and closed one (Costello Tagliapietra). Mount’s our second Salt Lake City native (after Ali Stephens) on the list, and we’re starting to be thankful we didn’t spend our awkward high-school years in Utah.
9. Anabela Belikova Opening Marc by Marc Jacobs nearly secured her a spot on the list by itself, but closing Preen and Richard Chai cemented her placement. After a grueling twenty-show week, we were shocked to see the Russian still smiling into the weekend.
10. Magdalena Frackowiak Frackowiak was on our Models to Watch list this year, and, after hitting seventeen shows (including Ralph Lauren and Marc Jacobs), we expect to keep seeing her. This Polish model opened Thakoon and Tommy Hilfiger and closed Malo and J. Mendel, boosting her momentum as she heads to European castings.
Most Viewed Stories
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
Amy Schumer Went All Out for the Kiss Cam at a Mets Game
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
The Pippa Middleton Look Book
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.