Since today is leap-year day, it's acceptable for women to propose to men. Lord knows why, but it has something to do with a nunnery in fifth-century Ireland. Do we really want to get into it? Nah. Anyhow, a gentleman has written a piece for the Times of London about how to avoid getting in a situation where — God forbid — their girlfriends propose to them. Steve Beale writes, "A long-term relationship with a woman who doesn't display signs of borderline personality disorder can be fantastic." He also points out, "If you're married, she can have half your money. Maybe more." And he suggests the "real reason" a woman might propose today is that it would make for a good story for her friends. Because really, when it comes to marriage, what's love got to do with it?
So how does Beale think dudes can avoid a dreaded proposal?
• Go to a "high class orgy" because "the last thing she wants is for your (inevitable, gutless) acceptance to be celebrated by a round of applause from a bunch of naked 'heedonists,' as Larry David calls them."
• Get scary into the whole marriage idea. Give her your grandmother's ring and tell her you're going to Paris to get a proper one, have Vivienne Westwood "make you up four swords with her orb on the hilt for your ushers," book a castle for the whole affair. Beale writes, "Your fiancée will undoubtedly call it all off, citing that the relationship was so 'intense' that it must also be 'destructive.'"
• Avoid soccer matches because this is a perfect time for her to propose.
• Go to Greece because Greeks think it's bad luck to marry during a leap year.
• Don't watch soap operas because this one time a contest winner proposed with a prerecorded commercial-break message.
• If all else fails, book a "business trip" to Moscow and stage an affair with a Russian woman. Send yourself letters with Russian addresses and a cryptic message that says the fake Russian woman's brothers will kill you if you don't marry her. The woman who proposed to you will realize she doesn't stand a chance.
You know what would be a lot easier than all of that, Mr. Beale? Breaking up with your girlfriend.
Most Viewed Stories
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
Amy Schumer Went All Out for the Kiss Cam at a Mets Game
The Pippa Middleton Look Book
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutPrince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
No time at all!The Couture Craftswoman Bringing Her Vision to the Street
Christelle Kocher splits her time between Chanel and her own couture-meets-streetwear line.What Fashion Anthropologists Think About the Relentless Cargo-Shorts Boom
There’s a lot going on in those pockets.Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
Mars enters Capricorn.Lupita Nyong’o Dropped a Rap Video to Celebrate Her 3 Million Instagram Followers
She debuted a short video on Instagram.Amy Schumer Went All Out for the Kiss Cam at a Mets Game
She had a kiss for her dad and her boyfriend.The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
This week’s sex diary.Marc Jacobs’s Dog Has His Own Coffee-Table Book
Neville Jacobs, Instagram celebrity.The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Megan Mullally, and Sean Hayes want you to feel FOMO.Emma Watson Helped Make a Short Film to Inspire You, Ladies
Jump those hurdles. Swing from a chandelier.
Best room service ever.Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis Are Having a Girl
It’s yet another reason to be #NeverTrump.The Newsroom Meets Mad Men in the First Trailer for Amazon’s Good Girls Revolt
Revolt away, girls.Arrest Made in Pippa Middleton iCloud Photo Hack
The hacker reportedly offered The Sun and The Daily Mail 3,000 pictures for a large sum of money.The National Nightmare Is Over: Kim Kardashian Will Vote for Hillary
She’s with her.Dolce & Gabbana Was an Italian Lovefest
The theme was Tropico Italiano.Watch the Salvatore Ferragamo Livestream
Enjoy!Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
Her name is Dusty Rose Levine. Awwww.Beyoncé and Tina Knowles Did a Normal Mother/Daughter Thing
Houston’s Solid Gold Beauty Supply received the Queen Bey herself.Brad Pitt Probably Won’t Face Prosecution for Child Abuse
The Brangelina Divorce Machine marches on.