Since today is leap-year day, it's acceptable for women to propose to men. Lord knows why, but it has something to do with a nunnery in fifth-century Ireland. Do we really want to get into it? Nah. Anyhow, a gentleman has written a piece for the Times of London about how to avoid getting in a situation where — God forbid — their girlfriends propose to them. Steve Beale writes, "A long-term relationship with a woman who doesn't display signs of borderline personality disorder can be fantastic." He also points out, "If you're married, she can have half your money. Maybe more." And he suggests the "real reason" a woman might propose today is that it would make for a good story for her friends. Because really, when it comes to marriage, what's love got to do with it?
So how does Beale think dudes can avoid a dreaded proposal?
• Go to a "high class orgy" because "the last thing she wants is for your (inevitable, gutless) acceptance to be celebrated by a round of applause from a bunch of naked 'heedonists,' as Larry David calls them."
• Get scary into the whole marriage idea. Give her your grandmother's ring and tell her you're going to Paris to get a proper one, have Vivienne Westwood "make you up four swords with her orb on the hilt for your ushers," book a castle for the whole affair. Beale writes, "Your fiancée will undoubtedly call it all off, citing that the relationship was so 'intense' that it must also be 'destructive.'"
• Avoid soccer matches because this is a perfect time for her to propose.
• Go to Greece because Greeks think it's bad luck to marry during a leap year.
• Don't watch soap operas because this one time a contest winner proposed with a prerecorded commercial-break message.
• If all else fails, book a "business trip" to Moscow and stage an affair with a Russian woman. Send yourself letters with Russian addresses and a cryptic message that says the fake Russian woman's brothers will kill you if you don't marry her. The woman who proposed to you will realize she doesn't stand a chance.
You know what would be a lot easier than all of that, Mr. Beale? Breaking up with your girlfriend.
Most Viewed Stories
Did Lena Dunham Shade the Wing on Girls?
Self-Empowerment Is Just Another Word for Narcissism
When Good Christian Girls Need Planned Parenthood
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of February 20
After Divorce, Angelina Jolie Tells BBC, ‘We Will Always Be a Family’
Inside the Secret Dating App for Famous People
Nighttime Voice-mails From the White House
Melania Trump Is Reportedly ‘Miserable’ in Her Role As First Lady
Alt-Right Troll Milo Yiannopoulos Uses Campus Visit to Openly Mock a Transgender Student
What, Exactly, Are Melania and Ivanka Trump Trying to Sell?
Latest News from The CutWe Finally Get to the Root of Katie and Tom’s Problems
What they’ve really been fighting about all along.Milo Yiannopoulos Loses His Book Deal Over Pedophilia Comments
The American Conservative Union also canceled his speaking engagement.What, Exactly, Are Melania and Ivanka Trump Trying to Sell?
The First Lady and First Daughter have shed their sex-sells pasts. So now what are they hawking?The Man (and Dog) Who Constantly Get Stopped on the Street
“With Zephulet, it’s as if I were a naked girl walking down the street — that’s how much attention I get.”Australian Denim in Soho, a Holistic-Care Pharmacy in Williamsburg, and a Women’s-Only Salon in Bay Ridge
What’s new in New York stores.Ryan Murphy Wants to Solve Hollywood’s Gender Problem
The Half Foundation is dedicated to diversity behind the scenes of his projects.Burberry Will Forever Be a Champion for British Design
British sculptor Henry Moore inspired unisex looks and elaborate Victorian collars.All the Political Statements Made During New York Fashion Week
From the white bandanna to slogan-printed shirts.Watch the Burberry Livestream
Enjoy!‘On Fleek’ Teen Peaches Monroee Launches GoFundMe for Cosmetics Line
“When I go places people still recognize me.”
Her limited edition line will be a little seapunk-lite.Did Lena Dunham Shade the Wing on Girls?
On tonight’s episode, Shoshanna joins an all-women’s networking club that has a lot in common with the one founded by Dunham’s friend Audrey Gelman.Former Uber Engineer Describes ‘Horrifying’ Culture of Sexual Harassment
CEO Travis Kalanick promised to “conduct an urgent investigation” and fire anyone who “behaves this way or thinks this is okay.”Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of February 20
Sunday brings a solar eclipse in Pisces.Self-Empowerment Is Just Another Word for Narcissism
How contemporary feminism has lost its way.Emma Watson Is Making Sure to Promote Sustainable Fashion During Her Press Tour
She created a special Instagram account that catalogues her looks for her Beauty and the Beast press tour.After Divorce, Angelina Jolie Tells BBC, ‘We Will Always Be a Family’
The BBC interview marks the first time Jolie has publicly spoken about her divorce from Brad Pitt.Chelsea Clinton Reacts to Trump’s Fake Sweden Attack
“Did they catch the Bowling Green Massacre perpetrators?”Rihanna’s Makeup Line Is Finally Arriving This Fall
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna is coming soon-ish.Mariah Carey Is Still Feeling ‘Victimized’ by Her New Year’s Eve Performance
“I didn’t obsess over the New Year’s Eve thing.”