We love fashion people who don't take fashion too seriously: Marc Jacobs is one, Agyness Deyn is another — and Deyn recently stole the No. 1 spot on Tatler magazine's best-dressed list from Kate Moss. Like Moss, when Deyn wears something unique and original, it becomes an instant trend. See, while normal people (read: non-Amazonian beanpoles who look good in things like boy haircuts) like us agonize over whether to spend $200 on white-framed sunglasses, Deyn throws on the $30 pair and doesn't think twice about it. Then, we presume, she laughs at fledgling fashionistas trying to imitate her. She calls her style "proper mad" and tells the London Times:
“Sometimes, I think it would be funny to do random stuff and see if it catches on,” she jokes. It’s all a long way from her Lancashire childhood; even 18 months ago, she was still a jobbing model. Deyn is only just getting used to signing autographs. “I never know what to write. I always say, ‘Nice to see you, to see you, nice. Aggy.’ Then I put a love heart.”
See? Even her autograph subtly says, "I can't believe you take this seriously." To Aggy we say, love heart right back at you, right back at you, love heart. Or something.
Helpfully, the Times breaks down the price tags of a few of Deyn's most famous looks and proves fabulous doesn't always come with a three- or four-figure price tag (take that "real" housewives of New York). After the jump, the Times puts together two of Deyn's iconic, mostly affordable outfits, complete with costs.
Outfit at left:
1. Ciaté Paint Pot in 3am Girl, £7.50/$15.11; 020-8466-5200.
2. Graphic top, £270/$543.80, by Balenciaga, from Matches; matchesfashion.com.
3. Memphis tuxedo, £895/$1,802.61, by David Szeto, from Browns.
4. Black skinny jeans, £45/$90.63, from Topshop.
5. Blue patent-leather shopper, £635/$1,278.95, by Pauric Sweeney, from Browns.
6. Plastic sunglasses, £15/$30.21
7. Black-and-white pencil skirt, £35/$70.49, from Topshop.
8. Dress, £60/$120.85, sunglasses, £12/$21.17, and earrings, £5/$10.07, by Gold by Giles at New Look; available March 19. Ribbed over-the-knee socks, £2.50/$5.04, from New Look.
Outfit at right:
1. Scarf, £1.50/$3.02, from Beyond Retro; 020-7613-3636.
2. Long stripy socks, £5.50/$11.08, by Pamela Mann; mytights.com.
3. Tux trousers, £135/$271.90, by Buckler; 020-7377-2767.
4. Blondie T-shirt, £25/$50.35, from Truffle Shuffle; truffleshuffle.co.uk.
5. Roxanne tote, £395/$ 795.57, by Mulberry.
6. Brogues, £35/$70.49, from Beyond Retro, as before.
7. Stripy vest, £18/$36.25, print wedges, £30/$60.42, plastic sunglasses, £12/$24.17, and bracelet, £6/$12.08, by Gold by Giles at New Look. Tights, £3/$6.04, from New Look.
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
Guess Who Renovated This Grand Upper West Side Penthouse
Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
A Pregnant Supermodel Explains What She Eats
Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
The Internet of Parents Is Miserable and I Love It
‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
The World’s Easiest Way to Highlight Your Face
Meet the Prom Queen of Instagram
From Our Partners
The Fashion Spot
New Study Says People Think Better of You When You Wear Black
The 21 Sexiest Chuck Bass Moments of All Time
Who What Wear
The Zara Outfit Every Girl In New York City Is Wearing
5 Must-Have Products for Your Makeup Bag
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesFrom Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
And don't count John Galliano out at Margiela yet.5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 2
Cropped sweaters, a spangled skirt, and more.Jaden Smith and Kesha Partied This Week
Along with Cindy Crawford, Anjelica Huston, Rita Ora, and Lena Dunham.Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Partied in Balmain
Plus: more highlights from Paris Fashion Week's parties, including Jared Leto.See All the Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Featuring wooden platforms, velvet robes, and floor-length ponchos.Who Won Best-Dressed at Milan Fashion Week?
Another city, another people's choice Peacock.See Our Exclusive Portfolio From Paris Fashion Week
Photographer Tomasz Lazar's latest dispatch from Fashion Month.Style Smackdown: Olivia Pope vs. Cookie Lyon
Judging the best looks from this week's episodes.Never Mind the Feminist Sound-Bites, Rick Owens Just Showed His Best Clothes Yet
Gymnast models symbolizing "women supporting women" wore mature yet spontaneous looks.Grace Jones Is Having the Wildest Book Tour Ever [NSFW]
She flashed crowds at her signing in New York.
The designer is showing his newest collection in a video.All About Dior’s Spring 2016 Show
Rihanna, lavender walls, and pointy flats.Cecilia Dean on Her Latest Immersive Fashion Project
A downtown art event with DVF and Proenza Schouler.Dior Built a Huge Flower Wall for Its Show
Just breathe that in.The Selfie-Stick Fashion Generation
Today’s young designers focus too often on their feelings.Rick Owens Dressed Models in ... Other Models
Harnesses were involved.And Now, Celebrity Wax Figures Dressed in Lederhosen
And other Austrian garb. It's Oktober!Nicki Minaj Has the Most-Liked Photos From MFW
And other tidbits from Instagram.Bella Hadid Wants to Compete in the 2016 Olympics
The model is also an accomplished horsewoman.4 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 1
From embellished pastel coats to the perfect pair of high-waisted jeans.