We love fashion people who don't take fashion too seriously: Marc Jacobs is one, Agyness Deyn is another — and Deyn recently stole the No. 1 spot on Tatler magazine's best-dressed list from Kate Moss. Like Moss, when Deyn wears something unique and original, it becomes an instant trend. See, while normal people (read: non-Amazonian beanpoles who look good in things like boy haircuts) like us agonize over whether to spend $200 on white-framed sunglasses, Deyn throws on the $30 pair and doesn't think twice about it. Then, we presume, she laughs at fledgling fashionistas trying to imitate her. She calls her style "proper mad" and tells the London Times:
“Sometimes, I think it would be funny to do random stuff and see if it catches on,” she jokes. It’s all a long way from her Lancashire childhood; even 18 months ago, she was still a jobbing model. Deyn is only just getting used to signing autographs. “I never know what to write. I always say, ‘Nice to see you, to see you, nice. Aggy.’ Then I put a love heart.”
See? Even her autograph subtly says, "I can't believe you take this seriously." To Aggy we say, love heart right back at you, right back at you, love heart. Or something.
Helpfully, the Times breaks down the price tags of a few of Deyn's most famous looks and proves fabulous doesn't always come with a three- or four-figure price tag (take that "real" housewives of New York). After the jump, the Times puts together two of Deyn's iconic, mostly affordable outfits, complete with costs.
Outfit at left:
1. Ciaté Paint Pot in 3am Girl, £7.50/$15.11; 020-8466-5200.
2. Graphic top, £270/$543.80, by Balenciaga, from Matches; matchesfashion.com.
3. Memphis tuxedo, £895/$1,802.61, by David Szeto, from Browns.
4. Black skinny jeans, £45/$90.63, from Topshop.
5. Blue patent-leather shopper, £635/$1,278.95, by Pauric Sweeney, from Browns.
6. Plastic sunglasses, £15/$30.21
7. Black-and-white pencil skirt, £35/$70.49, from Topshop.
8. Dress, £60/$120.85, sunglasses, £12/$21.17, and earrings, £5/$10.07, by Gold by Giles at New Look; available March 19. Ribbed over-the-knee socks, £2.50/$5.04, from New Look.
Outfit at right:
1. Scarf, £1.50/$3.02, from Beyond Retro; 020-7613-3636.
2. Long stripy socks, £5.50/$11.08, by Pamela Mann; mytights.com.
3. Tux trousers, £135/$271.90, by Buckler; 020-7377-2767.
4. Blondie T-shirt, £25/$50.35, from Truffle Shuffle; truffleshuffle.co.uk.
5. Roxanne tote, £395/$ 795.57, by Mulberry.
6. Brogues, £35/$70.49, from Beyond Retro, as before.
7. Stripy vest, £18/$36.25, print wedges, £30/$60.42, plastic sunglasses, £12/$24.17, and bracelet, £6/$12.08, by Gold by Giles at New Look. Tights, £3/$6.04, from New Look.
Most Viewed Stories
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
Here’s the Official List of Speakers for the Women’s March on Washington
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Sexual Assault in the Amazon
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Things to Keep You Warm and Dry at a Protest
Your Guide to Peeing During the Women’s March on Washington
TMZ Reports Trump Will Actually Have Really Cool Inauguration Performers
Your Guide to NYC Inauguration Weekend Protests
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.