The April issue of Vanity Fair has a lengthy profile (as VF profiles are wont to be) of Calvin Klein written by Ingrid Sischy. We imagine you're busy, fabulous people, and are no doubt pressed for time, so we took it upon ourselves to read it so you won't have to. Since Klein sold his company five years ago, he's been spending his days in retirement renovating his mansions. We know — not very interesting. So we cut the rest of the fat and present you with the good bits:
• Klein has a law named after him. On March 24, 2003, Klein stumbled onto the basketball court during a Knicks game at Madison Square Garden. He tried to strike up a conversation with Latrell Sprewell while he was playing basketball, who didn't know it was Klein (not that that should really matter). The New York City Council then passed the "Calvin Klein" bill which created harsher punishments for unruly fans at sports games.
• Klein got laid a lot, but just Klein. Sischy writes she could have spent a whole page listing the differences between Klein and his business partner and best friend from age 5, Barry Schwartz. She chose to highlight just this: Klein got a lot of ass, and Schwartz didn't.
• Klein walked a mile and a half to show his clothes once. Gasp! For Klein's first meeting with a buyer, he wheeled his clothes on a rack from Seventh Avenue and 37th Street to Fifth Avenue and 56th Street. He didn't want his clothes to get wrinkled in a cab and proved fashion people can indeed walk.
• Klein shared a "love shack pad" with an "old friend" after his first divorce. She says they once spent two nights in a row trying to get the perfect cut on a bathing suit. Romantic.
• Klein stalks people he wants to hire. Klein needed a new company president in the nineties and had his eyes on Gabriella Forte, who then worked for Giorgio Armani. He got her by waiting outside her house in Milan so he could make her an offer in person. She accepted. Creepy yet effective.
• Klein wore thick socks to hide his skinny ankles. Enough said.
• Nightlong partying brought good things to Klein. The designer frequented Studio 54 a lot. One night after he had been dancing on a table all night, a guy came up to him and asked him if he wanted to make jeans. He said yes. Enter 15-year-old Brooke Shields.
• Brooke Shields still can't shake those Calvin Klein commercials. She says people still come up to her and say stuff to her about her "Calvins." People can be stupid and annoying, yes.
• Klein is bisexual. He says, "I've experienced sex with men, with women." Funny how the word "experienced" makes it seem akin to a vacation, but if he'd said the word "had," we would have imagined a wild Studio 54 orgy. Huh.
Most Viewed Stories
Here’s the Official List of Speakers for the Women’s March on Washington
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Your Guide to Peeing During the Women’s March on Washington
Bernie Sanders Reviews the Balenciaga Men’s Collection
Inauguration Committee Chairman Says Kanye West Wasn’t Invited to Perform Because It’s a ‘Typically and Traditionally American’ Event
Sexual Assault in the Amazon
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Feeling Anxious on Inauguration Day? These Art Museums Are Offering Refuge
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.