W magazine says a "Plain Jane" runway show — one with a white backdrop and no stunts or special sets — is like a tree falling in the forest that no one hears. And we all know the tree no one hears fall is so not the fabulous tree. So obviously when designers fall in the forest — er, stage runway shows — they want everyone to notice. This is why they concoct zany stunts for their special events, like having Sonic Youth play during a fashion show (Marc Jacobs), or entering a fragrance launch party in a faux airplane (John Galliano). Karl Lagerfeld was one of the first designers to incorporate such flair into his functions; the set for his first Chloé show in 1974 re-created a trellis garden at the Palais de Congres in Paris, and he sent one model out holding a green parrot. Oh, Karl. What a moment. In case you missed any of it, here are some of the stunts that the fashion greats have cooked up to get your attention:
• The set for a recent Chanel ready-to-wear show was a winding carousel in the Grand Palais that weighed ten tons, took five weeks to carve, and five days to install. (Remember these shows last fifteen minutes. A long fifteen minutes, but still.)
• The Fendi party at Paris Fashion Week included an intimate performance by the "notoriously unreliable" Amy Winehouse when she first developed that rash thing no less.
• One couture set for a Chanel show included a 105-foot tower shielding a winding staircase.
• The set for the spring 2008 Chanel couture show was a rather hokey-looking 66-foot-tall Chanel jacket.
• Fendi did a fashion show on the Great Wall of China last October for a mere $10 million. Then again they racked up $150 million worth of media exposure.
• Took the Christian Dior 60th-nniversary party to Versailles in July 2007.
• Entered the launch party for the fragrance Dior Addict in a fake aircraft suspended from the ceiling.
• In July 1998 the "Diorient Express" rolled into the Gare d'Austerlitz with "high fashion Pocahanteses."
• When the Dior flagship opened in Hong Kong, a Jumbotron screen showed images from the couture shows that even caused construction workers to stop and watch.
• Set up a counterfeit-style tables to sell real Louis Vuitton bags in honor of the Vuitton-Murakami retrospective at the Brooklyn Museum. The peddlers even used fake accents. So politically correct.
• Did a runway show backward (he came out first and took his bow on the right side of the runway and then the models walked).
• Sonic Youth performed at his most recent runway show at New York Fashion Week, where Kevin Federline sat front row. So glam.
• For its upcoming 150th anniversary, Boucheron will collaborate with Maison du Chocolat to create a snake necklace in chocolate "enhanced with a heart-shaped, fancy brownish-yellow diamond specially cut to weigh 20.08 carats, which is worth $1 million." Let's hope they keep it away from any small children
• Created an eight-ton replica of a brooch owned by the Duchess of Windsor out of ice in China.
• Created an ice replica of its Rue de la Paix boutique for the Harbin International Ice and Snow World festival in China. (All the fun stuff happens in China. So unfair.)
• Annually sponsors polo matches held on snow in Saint Moritz, sand dunes in Dubai, or with elephants instead of horses in India (we guess they use really long poles?).
Big Fun [W]
Most Viewed Stories
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
Jaden Smith on the Many Subtle Flavors of Water
Kim Kardashian Might Vote for Donald Trump
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
If You See Brad Pitt As a Fallen Hero, It’s Because the Rules Have Changed
Taylor Swift’s Squad Begged Kim Kardashian for Mercy
Kylie Jenner’s Getting Sucked Into Tyga’s Debt Problems
Bask in the Glory of This Dramatic Email Sent to a UCLA Freshman by Her Future Roommate
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutAdam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
Her name is Dusty Rose Levine. Awwww.Beyoncé and Tina Knowles Did A Normal Mother/Daughter Thing
Houston’s Solid Gold Beauty Supply received the Queen Bey herself.Brad Pitt Probably Won’t Face Prosecution for Child Abuse
The Brangelina Divorce Machine marches on.North West Is a Pretty Great Flower Girl
Brides, prepared to be upstaged.The Kids From Stranger Things Are Hanging Out With Nicolas Ghesquière
Millie Bobby Brown, Caleb McLaughlin, and Gaten Matarazzo hit up Louis Vuitton’s HQ in Paris.A ‘Cagney & Lacey-Esque’ Police Drama Is Currently in Development at ABC
Bring. On. The Female. Detectives.Kylie Jenner’s Getting Sucked Into Tyga’s Debt Problems
She’ll have to answer questions under oath in the latest lawsuit against him.Lauren Hutton and Gigi Hadid Make the Best Intergenerational Model Pair
It was a major moment.Your Basement Gym Is No Match for These $10 Million Wellness Amenities
The two superstar brokers of Million Dollar Listing New York fame discuss.The NFL Is Taking Steps to Recruit More Women
It’s part of a major push for gender equality.
When it comes to white denim, the only rule is that it should flatter you.Hotel Counts Sensual Framed Photos of Jeff Goldblum Among Its Amenities
A true luxury.The Cabal of Fabulous Rich Ladies Who Built Gustav Klimt’s Career
Their stories and portraits are featured in a new exhibit at Neue Galerie New York.The Chanel No.5 Launch Party Was the No. 1 Place to Be in L.A. Last Night
It doesn’t get any better than Nas and Chanel bags.An Uber Operator Allegedly Laughed at a Man for Calling to Report a Sexual Assault
The driver has since been permanently banned.Kate Moss and Paris Hilton Partied This Week
People cried while waiting for Gigi Hadid.See the Newest Fashion Campaigns for Fall
Including Pharrell’s democratic G-Star campaign, Fenty Puma by Rihanna, and Acne Studios.Kim Kardashian Might Vote for Donald Trump
Oh, dear.A Black Woman Painted Her Entire Body White to Protest Police Brutality, and Facebook Removed the Video
It took hours for the platform to restore her video.Toxic Masculinity Causing Men to Avoid Tofu and Exclamation Points
Men aren’t the only jerks who text with periods.