The Peabody Awards honor excellence in news and entertainment broadcasting. This year's recipients, announced yesterday, include Bob Woodruff for his series on wounded war veterans, 30 Rock, Discovery's nature documentary Planet Earth, and Project Runway. Yes, Project Runway, the first reality show ever to win a Peabody. We furrowed our brow at the news because as Jillian Lewis and Christian Siriano noted, the show's gotten kind of stale. Yes, we adore it, but more in the guilty pleasure way we enjoy watching Rock of Love With Brett Michaels (that's right — the Cut knows no shame). Will the world benefit from anyone taking the show more seriously than they already have? Not so much. Unless everyone picks up Tim Gunn's vocabulary, which would be kind of awesome. But this is reality TV, people — the stuff born of the Real World and Survivor. Let's keep that in mind next year, Peabodsters.
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve