You've probably always wondered, What do I have to do to make my face look just like Tinsley Mortimer's? Well, friends, this morning we bring you answers. Yesterday at Saks we learned it just takes 41 minutes, fourteen products, and fifteen steps to achieve her effortless nighttime look. Tinz herself was at the store shilling her brand-new Dior lip gloss, Tinsley Pink, proceeds from which benefit Operation Smile. We couldn't wait to learn how to get as pinked out as Tinz in the two-hour master class on the fifteen steps, but apparently there's more to Tinz than pink. Like yellow. "I love pink. I had a pink bedroom growing up, so it’s kinda stuck in my head. But I do wear other colors," she told us. "Now I’m into yellow. Yellow is the new pink. Well, at least for now." Befuddled, we turned to her sister, Dabney Mercer. "We’re into yellow now, sure, but Tinsley will always wear pink," she said. Whew!
Enough about color — we're here for the face paint! Tinsley's makeup artist, Ricky Wilson, said New York girls wear too much eyeliner and they should try playing with shadow, like — you guessed it! — Tinsley. " She likes a stronger eye, but something that’s also soft and smudged. She likes exaggerated eyeliner and loves tons and tons of lashes." Tinsley's a veritable fountain of youth now, but is she afraid of aging? "I’m not afraid of it. It’s something that happens," she said. Is Botox in her future? No! "I’d never do it," she added. But maybe it is! "Who knows? I’m not there yet."
At last it was time for us to get Tinsley's fifteen-step, fourteen-product look. The results and a step-by-step illustrated guide after the jump.
Fifteen Steps to Look Like Tinsley:
1. Apply Capture Totale serum to firm the skin.
2. Apply less than a teaspoon of Capture Totale moisturizer. It also firms the skin.
3. Apply a pearl-size dollop of Capture Totale eye cream right underneath the eyes.
4. Now it's time to spray on that all-important foundation. Tinsley uses Airflash, which is fun to apply because it sprays. Smooth with a brush, blend to the neck. You risk disaster if you don't properly blend.
5. Prime lids for eye shadow with a cream shadow base. This locks in shadow, and also ensures shadow pigments appear the same color as they do in the palette.
6. Apply the five-color eye-shadow palette #609, which contains pink, two browns, gold, and cream. Brush the pink below the crease of the eye, then highlight all over with gold. Add light brown in the creases and corners.
7. Apply pencil eyeliner #99 at the top and bottom lash line. Make sure you connect corners from top to bottom lash lines.
8. Return to the palette from step six. Apply the dark-brown shadow over the liner. This seals in the liner and helps it last longer.
9. Now add Skinflash concealer under the eyes. Yes, we're still on eyes, people! It’s a twist-up container like ChapStick, so simply draw a line under the eyes with the brush and then blend with your finger or a brush.
10. Then apply DiorShow mascara — the No. 1 selling mascara by Dior. Tinsley said she uses so many bottles of this a year, it’s “shocking.”
11. Next, apply a second mascara, Dior Blackout. Yes, brush this over the DiorShow. Tinsley always doubles up on mascara. It makes a big difference.
12. Now dust on shimmer powder in #002 for a bronze glow. Sweep a brush over the entire powder palette (a six-shade combo) and highlight the cheekbone.
13. Apply blush in #639 just as you did the shimmer-powder bronzer to the apples of your cheeks.
14. For brunettes only: Draw on lip liner #433. Blondes: Skip to step fifteen.
15. It's time for Tinsley Pink! The bright-pink color goes on sheer, with a touch of tint and shimmer with microscopic sparkles. Brush on and blot.
16. Glow like Tinsley! (This step is our addition.)
Total makeup products used: Fourteen
Total mentions of pink: Four
Total time invested: Two hours
Verdict: The look is not as pink as expected, which we like, but the foundation looks and feels heavy. But at last our mission to look just like Tinz has been accomplished. And in under three hours!
— Sharon Clott
Most Viewed Stories
Can We Finally, Officially, Say That Amber Heard and Elon Musk Are Dating?
The 26-Year-Old Couch-Surfing After a Breakup
Why Everyone Loves the Alpha Girl
Will We Abandon Women’s Rights in the Name of Progressive Politics?
I Was the Queen Bee: 3 High-School Bullies Describe Their Reigns of Terror
When Women Pursue Sex, Even Men Don’t Get It
Hey, Did You Know That French Presidential Candidate Emmanuel Macron Is Married to His High-School Teacher?
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of April 24
A Woman Used Her Boyfriend’s Balls As a Makeup Blender
Gigi Hadid’s Family Celebrated Her Birthday by Bringing Out the Baby Pictures
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesLVMH Buys Christian Dior for $13.1 Billion in Cash, Hermès Shares
The Arnault Family Group adds another luxury brand to its portfolio.Students Sue UC Berkeley for Canceling Ann Coulter Appearance
The lawsuit says the university is discriminating against conservative speakers.Jesse Williams and Aryn Drake-Lee Divorcing After Five Years of Marriage
The two have known each other for more than a decade.How Do You Reclaim the Mother from Psycho?
The star and creator of Bates Motel on a character who’s “Medea meets Lucille Ball.”Alex Jones Is Now Being Sued by Chobani Yogurt
Alex Jones’s latest legal battle is against a yogurt company.Serena Williams Responds to Male Tennis Player’s Racist Remark About Her Pregnancy
“This world has come so far and yet we have so much further to go.”Kim Kardashian Didn’t Come Over Just to Stare at a Cake
She needs to show Khloé her “ex-box,” which contains at least two chicken-related items.Revisit Groundbreaking Photos by Diane Arbus
A new book commemorates the 50th anniversary of her MoMA exhibition with Lee Friedlander and Garry Winogrand.What It’s Like to Have Tina Fey As a Mentor
Tracey Wigfield on 30 Rock, her new sitcom Great News, and writing a character based on her mom.Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In Is Trying Really Hard Not to Be Political
Because, its president said, gender equality “transcends politics.”
How to get the best concealer perfectly custom-matched to your skin.Zac Posen on His New Documentary and Fashion’s Dark Side
“They love to shoot you up like a clay pigeon.”Hey, Did You Know That French Presidential Candidate Emmanuel Macron Is Married to His High-School Teacher?
A fun little fact from the French presidential race.4 Psychology Experts on Why Alex Jones Is Always Taking His Shirt Off
After it emerged that conspiracy theorist Alex Jones allegedly took his shirt off during family therapy, we got curious.Hey, Ladies, Would You Carry Condoms If They Came in a Cute Travel Case?
Don’t you dare let anyone know you have sex.American Lingerie Companies Don’t Do Big Boobs Justice
You don’t need to look frumpy.Amber Rose’s Beauty Line Will Teach You How to Have Fun
She’s the face of an exciting eyeliner.A Woman Used Her Boyfriend’s Balls As a Makeup Blender
There’s video evidence.The Best Street Style From Coachella, Week Two
Kimonos, tulle skirts, harem pants.Mom Kelly Rowland ‘Didn’t Go to School for This’
So she consulted experts to help write her charming guide for new moms, Whoa, Baby!