You've probably always wondered, What do I have to do to make my face look just like Tinsley Mortimer's? Well, friends, this morning we bring you answers. Yesterday at Saks we learned it just takes 41 minutes, fourteen products, and fifteen steps to achieve her effortless nighttime look. Tinz herself was at the store shilling her brand-new Dior lip gloss, Tinsley Pink, proceeds from which benefit Operation Smile. We couldn't wait to learn how to get as pinked out as Tinz in the two-hour master class on the fifteen steps, but apparently there's more to Tinz than pink. Like yellow. "I love pink. I had a pink bedroom growing up, so it’s kinda stuck in my head. But I do wear other colors," she told us. "Now I’m into yellow. Yellow is the new pink. Well, at least for now." Befuddled, we turned to her sister, Dabney Mercer. "We’re into yellow now, sure, but Tinsley will always wear pink," she said. Whew!
Enough about color — we're here for the face paint! Tinsley's makeup artist, Ricky Wilson, said New York girls wear too much eyeliner and they should try playing with shadow, like — you guessed it! — Tinsley. " She likes a stronger eye, but something that’s also soft and smudged. She likes exaggerated eyeliner and loves tons and tons of lashes." Tinsley's a veritable fountain of youth now, but is she afraid of aging? "I’m not afraid of it. It’s something that happens," she said. Is Botox in her future? No! "I’d never do it," she added. But maybe it is! "Who knows? I’m not there yet."
At last it was time for us to get Tinsley's fifteen-step, fourteen-product look. The results and a step-by-step illustrated guide after the jump.
Fifteen Steps to Look Like Tinsley:
1. Apply Capture Totale serum to firm the skin.
2. Apply less than a teaspoon of Capture Totale moisturizer. It also firms the skin.
3. Apply a pearl-size dollop of Capture Totale eye cream right underneath the eyes.
4. Now it's time to spray on that all-important foundation. Tinsley uses Airflash, which is fun to apply because it sprays. Smooth with a brush, blend to the neck. You risk disaster if you don't properly blend.
5. Prime lids for eye shadow with a cream shadow base. This locks in shadow, and also ensures shadow pigments appear the same color as they do in the palette.
6. Apply the five-color eye-shadow palette #609, which contains pink, two browns, gold, and cream. Brush the pink below the crease of the eye, then highlight all over with gold. Add light brown in the creases and corners.
7. Apply pencil eyeliner #99 at the top and bottom lash line. Make sure you connect corners from top to bottom lash lines.
8. Return to the palette from step six. Apply the dark-brown shadow over the liner. This seals in the liner and helps it last longer.
9. Now add Skinflash concealer under the eyes. Yes, we're still on eyes, people! It’s a twist-up container like ChapStick, so simply draw a line under the eyes with the brush and then blend with your finger or a brush.
10. Then apply DiorShow mascara — the No. 1 selling mascara by Dior. Tinsley said she uses so many bottles of this a year, it’s “shocking.”
11. Next, apply a second mascara, Dior Blackout. Yes, brush this over the DiorShow. Tinsley always doubles up on mascara. It makes a big difference.
12. Now dust on shimmer powder in #002 for a bronze glow. Sweep a brush over the entire powder palette (a six-shade combo) and highlight the cheekbone.
13. Apply blush in #639 just as you did the shimmer-powder bronzer to the apples of your cheeks.
14. For brunettes only: Draw on lip liner #433. Blondes: Skip to step fifteen.
15. It's time for Tinsley Pink! The bright-pink color goes on sheer, with a touch of tint and shimmer with microscopic sparkles. Brush on and blot.
16. Glow like Tinsley! (This step is our addition.)
Total makeup products used: Fourteen
Total mentions of pink: Four
Total time invested: Two hours
Verdict: The look is not as pink as expected, which we like, but the foundation looks and feels heavy. But at last our mission to look just like Tinz has been accomplished. And in under three hours!
— Sharon Clott
Most Viewed Stories
Why Did Everyone Act Like I Was Crazy When I Decided to Have a Baby in My 20s?
Rereading The Handmaid’s Tale, One Month Into the Trump Era
It Sure Looks Like Diane Kruger Is Dating Norman Reedus Now
People Everywhere Agree That Justin Trudeau Has a Good Butt
Woman Framed by Ex-Boyfriend’s Wife in Craigslist ‘Rape Fantasy’ Plot Speaks Out
Karl Lagerfeld Calls Out Meryl Streep for Canceling an Order for a Chanel Dress
Taylor Swift Is Not Going to Be Happy About This New Friendship
Someone Paid $2,000 to Provide Us With This Terrible Billboard
Sports Illustrated’s New Curvy Model on Fitness, Staying Healthy, and Embracing Her Body
Barbara Pierce Bush to Speak at Texas Planned Parenthood Fundraiser
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesMeryl Streep Issues Scathing Response to Karl Lagerfeld’s Oscar Dress Comments
Do not come for Meryl.Missoni Grabs Back with Knitted Pink Pussy Hats at Milan Fashion Week
Audience members and models alike sported knitted pink pussy hats.Barbara Pierce Bush to Speak at Texas Planned Parenthood Fundraiser
Don’t mess with Texas women.Extremely Handsome Oscar Nominee Mahershala Ali Is Now a Hot Dad
Mahershala Ali and Amatus Sami-Karim’s baby was born earlier this week.Selena Gomez Is the Weeknd’s VIP at His Amsterdam Concert
Their globetrotting romance continues.Sergio Rossi Brought Sleek Heels and Smoky Mirrors to Milan
Sergio Rossi’s Winter 2017/18 line gets the high-tech treatment in this video.Danielle Brooks Talks Body Positivity and Lane Bryant
“Women are seeing themselves and are feeling beautiful about their bodies.”Laverne Cox: “Trans Rights Are Women’s Rights”
On bell hooks and more.Watch the Bottega Veneta Livestream
Enjoy!This Man Probably Knows More About Makeup Than You Do
A quick chat with Instagram’s favorite male makeup artist.
Her first extensive monograph comes out next month.Let Martha Stewart’s Story About Her New Peacock Soothe You
Xanax in blog form.Designers Agree: Red Is the Color for Fall 2017
It’s more than just a trend, it’s a movement.People Everywhere Agree That Justin Trudeau Has a Good Butt
An image of the Canadian prime minister’s butt has gone viral.Leonardo DiCaprio Is Definitely Hiding His Oscar in This Fanny Pack
What else could be in there?When Dating Younger Men Becomes a Sexual Crusade
On this week’s podcast: Cindy Gallop reinvented her career so everyone could have better sex.A Rainbow Elephant Makes a Fun Purse
The chicest look from day two of Milan Fashion Week.Wear Paisley Like This for Spring
The Golden Peacock Award winner from day two of Milan Fashion Week.Gigi and Bella Hadid Get Rainbow Hair at Versace
A style that looks a little familiar to anyone who spent too much time listening to Avril Lavigne.Princess Diana Is Having a Resurgence As a Fashion Muse
She’s the subject of a new London exhibit, and her influence is all over the runways.