You've probably always wondered, What do I have to do to make my face look just like Tinsley Mortimer's? Well, friends, this morning we bring you answers. Yesterday at Saks we learned it just takes 41 minutes, fourteen products, and fifteen steps to achieve her effortless nighttime look. Tinz herself was at the store shilling her brand-new Dior lip gloss, Tinsley Pink, proceeds from which benefit Operation Smile. We couldn't wait to learn how to get as pinked out as Tinz in the two-hour master class on the fifteen steps, but apparently there's more to Tinz than pink. Like yellow. "I love pink. I had a pink bedroom growing up, so it’s kinda stuck in my head. But I do wear other colors," she told us. "Now I’m into yellow. Yellow is the new pink. Well, at least for now." Befuddled, we turned to her sister, Dabney Mercer. "We’re into yellow now, sure, but Tinsley will always wear pink," she said. Whew!
Enough about color — we're here for the face paint! Tinsley's makeup artist, Ricky Wilson, said New York girls wear too much eyeliner and they should try playing with shadow, like — you guessed it! — Tinsley. " She likes a stronger eye, but something that’s also soft and smudged. She likes exaggerated eyeliner and loves tons and tons of lashes." Tinsley's a veritable fountain of youth now, but is she afraid of aging? "I’m not afraid of it. It’s something that happens," she said. Is Botox in her future? No! "I’d never do it," she added. But maybe it is! "Who knows? I’m not there yet."
At last it was time for us to get Tinsley's fifteen-step, fourteen-product look. The results and a step-by-step illustrated guide after the jump.
Fifteen Steps to Look Like Tinsley:
1. Apply Capture Totale serum to firm the skin.
2. Apply less than a teaspoon of Capture Totale moisturizer. It also firms the skin.
3. Apply a pearl-size dollop of Capture Totale eye cream right underneath the eyes.
4. Now it's time to spray on that all-important foundation. Tinsley uses Airflash, which is fun to apply because it sprays. Smooth with a brush, blend to the neck. You risk disaster if you don't properly blend.
5. Prime lids for eye shadow with a cream shadow base. This locks in shadow, and also ensures shadow pigments appear the same color as they do in the palette.
6. Apply the five-color eye-shadow palette #609, which contains pink, two browns, gold, and cream. Brush the pink below the crease of the eye, then highlight all over with gold. Add light brown in the creases and corners.
7. Apply pencil eyeliner #99 at the top and bottom lash line. Make sure you connect corners from top to bottom lash lines.
8. Return to the palette from step six. Apply the dark-brown shadow over the liner. This seals in the liner and helps it last longer.
9. Now add Skinflash concealer under the eyes. Yes, we're still on eyes, people! It’s a twist-up container like ChapStick, so simply draw a line under the eyes with the brush and then blend with your finger or a brush.
10. Then apply DiorShow mascara — the No. 1 selling mascara by Dior. Tinsley said she uses so many bottles of this a year, it’s “shocking.”
11. Next, apply a second mascara, Dior Blackout. Yes, brush this over the DiorShow. Tinsley always doubles up on mascara. It makes a big difference.
12. Now dust on shimmer powder in #002 for a bronze glow. Sweep a brush over the entire powder palette (a six-shade combo) and highlight the cheekbone.
13. Apply blush in #639 just as you did the shimmer-powder bronzer to the apples of your cheeks.
14. For brunettes only: Draw on lip liner #433. Blondes: Skip to step fifteen.
15. It's time for Tinsley Pink! The bright-pink color goes on sheer, with a touch of tint and shimmer with microscopic sparkles. Brush on and blot.
16. Glow like Tinsley! (This step is our addition.)
Total makeup products used: Fourteen
Total mentions of pink: Four
Total time invested: Two hours
Verdict: The look is not as pink as expected, which we like, but the foundation looks and feels heavy. But at last our mission to look just like Tinz has been accomplished. And in under three hours!
— Sharon Clott