We had to brace ourselves as we pulled the doors open at the Metropolitan Pavilion this weekend. Normally, this spot blows up with sample-sale hysteria. This Sunday, things went even more bananas: It was the Makeup Show (which runs through 6 p.m. today). Imagine walking into a Sephora times a million plus one. The spectacle featured 70-plus vendors showcasing their lines, ranging from Lancôme to Smashbox to Obsessive Compulsive body paints. What else will you find inside the beauty trenches? Naked women getting painted (glow in the dark, baby!) and discounts of 40 percent or more off your favorite brands (yes, M.A.C was there). Still not sure the $40 entrance fee and the elbow jabs are worth cutting out from work early? Let's recap the new looks and tips we scored and see if that'll change your mind.
1. Angelina Jolie’s favorite Guerlain eye shadow was discontinued, so her makeup artist mimicked the sheer white color with a custom palette from Three Custom Color called Snow. “Angelina uses it to bring emphasis to her eyes, instead of concentration on her lips,” said Chad Hayduk, founder of TCC and product developer for the brand. But when is there ever concentration on anything other than her lips? “Well, this helps.” Right.
2. The most important color to add to your makeup bag come fall? Burgundy. “The Ungaro for M.A.C line that’s coming out in October, it has a burgundy stain for lips,” says M.A.C pro artist Patrick Eichler. “It’s the next step from natural and pretty, in a sophisticated way, not in a fly-girl way. It’s time to move away from the fly-girl thing. I’m tired of lip gloss. It’s been a decade now. Move on.”
3. Ecofriendly marketing is kinda baloney. Alison Raffaele, founder of her eponymous earth-friendly line, hates the pitches behind eco products. “There are companies out there that say ‘If you can’t pronounce something, don’t get it,’” Raffaele says. “But to me, it’s not the end of the world. It’s not a secret what these ingredients are. Can you say tocopheryl acetate? No? Well, that’s Vitamin E.”
4. Stila just announced the new Marchesa line, and Ryan Cox is one of the six product developers behind the look. Best news, the look is doable by normal people who don’t use eighteen different products at once. “Even a woman with time still wants to spend fifteen minutes or less and that’s it.” He used Fog and Bouquet on the eyes and Cherry Crush stain on the lips and cheeks.
5. Cory Bishop, a makeup artist for Nix’ie Cosmetics, believes you need three shadows to shape your eyes, no more, no less. “Put the lightest color on the highest point of the eyeball and the highest arch part of the brow. But not all on the brow line. If you do, you risk looking drag-queen-ish.” Do not want that, thanks. —Sharon Clott
Most Viewed Stories
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesA Glimpse Into Marilyn Monroe’s Private Life
Whoopi Goldberg curated intimate portraits of the icon in a new exhibit, featuring photographs by Milton Greene.Nate Parker Addresses Rape Accusations in 60 Minutes Clip
He went on the record with Anderson Cooper.Paris Fashion Week’s Runways Are Still Overwhelmingly White
It’s been only three days but the numbers are bleak.Misty Copeland Did Her Own Makeup for This Ballet Book
She danced for photographer Gregg Delman's new book.Why Do All My Instagram Cats Keep Dying?
When real life encroaches on the virtual.Hunger Casts a Cruel, All-consuming Spell, Study Confirms
It’s stronger than thirst, fear, or social needs.Female Chess Players Are Furious About Having to Wear Hijabs at the World Championship in Iran
The world championship tournament is in Iran, where women are required to wear hijabs.Man in Tech Actually Admits He Was Wrong
Well, this is a first!The Other Kids in Jennifer Garner’s Daughter’s Class Have a Laptop, Why Can’t She?
Jen told Today she didn’t know tweens need computers.How Do You Follow a Great Designer?
Bouchra Jarrar’s first collection since taking over from Alber Elbaz at Lanvin.
The mom of two young kids says wellness is a balancing act.The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
Being a royal kid seems like a pretty sweet deal.The Male Model Who Has Appeared on More Romance Novel Covers Than Fabio
Jason Baca talks romance-novel cover modeling and eating a ton of chicken breasts.The Retro Stain Remover I Use on Everything
Don’t mind the smell — that’s how you know it’s working.My Toddler Is Having a Halloween Identity Crisis
She doesn’t want to be someone other than herself.New York Magazine’s ‘Sex Lives’: Can Masturbation Be a Radical Act?
This week’s podcast.Rob Kardashian Had a Childhood Crush on His Sister Kim Kardashian, and Now You Know About It Too
It’s 2016, everybody.We May Never Find Out What Happened Between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
The two have reportedly entered into “private negotiations.”Why Am I Always Tired?
Don't assume it's a health problem.How Yoga Turns You Superhuman or Just Less Freaked Out About Life
It trains the body, mind, and everything in between.