U.K. Esquire asked eleven fashion designers to each re-create one of its covers from the sixties for its 75th-anniversary June issue. The lineup is impressive: Giorgio Armani, Donatella Versace, Karl Lagerfeld, and Vivienne Westwood all posed. Some stepped out of their comfort zones more than others for the pictorials, like Burberry's Christopher Bailey, who posed nose to nose with a hairy pig lying on the floor. And others, like Miuccia Prada, didn't even show their faces. We've ranked all eleven from our least to most favorite, taking into account the boldness, quirkiness, effort, and coolness reflected in each shot.
11. Alber Elbaz — Alber, dahling, your work at Lanvin makes our knees weak, and we delight in your bow ties when you pop out at the end of every show. But we don't love you nearly as much in crayon. Had you posed this pose in the flesh, you could have been our number one.
10. Miuccia Prada — Again, Miu, dahling, your fairy shoes make us want to forgo electricity in the heat wave to afford them. But the world wants to see your gorgeous face. It's as if you RSVP'd "Yes" to a party and only sent your shoes.
9. Giorgio Armani — This was just too easy. And he didn't even wear a tie! His face just says, "One shot, and I'm done!"
8. Tommy Hilfiger — Snaps to Tommy for dressing up, but this is all a bit heavy and serious for our taste. Just because he lives in New York (and, admittedly, has quite a powerful presence here), doesn't mean he needs to act like he rules New York. He's not Anna Wintour, after all.
7. Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana — At first, we found this quite meh and debated for a long time if it was better than Tommy's shot. But then we noticed it looks like Domenico in the back there has three hands and the choice was clear.
6. Donatella Versace — You're probably wondering why we chose Donatella for this spot when it looks like she, as with Giorgio, really didn't put much into this. But this is probably the fairest skin tone we've ever seen on her, and it probably took some balls for her to go the angelic route.
5. Karl Lagerfeld — Rounding out the top half is the kaiser, of course. Times five! One is never enough, you know.
4. Sir Paul Smith — Smith is Photoshopped onto the edge of the soup can in this shot. Can you imagine how awkward posing for that would be? Way to be comfortable with your knighted self there, Mr. Smith.
3. Christopher Bailey — Ah, yes, here's our sexy Burberry man in the compromising pig shot! We mean, can you think of another designer who gets down with farm animals? Literally?
2. Vivienne Westwood — The shot is simple, but Westwood really puts herself out there in it. By that we mean the wrinkles visible in her face remind us that some women today still grow old without having their faces sliced or pricked with needles. We really do look up to her.
1. John Galliano — Speaking of putting it all out there, Galliano told Esquire, "I didn't choose this cover; it chose me." We can tell. Galliano is posing with the fire of an overeager America's Next Top Model contestant — the face, the propped foot, and the head tilt are perfection. Also, we can't say we've ever seen him this clean shaven. And, um, hello, body! Is that Marc Jacobs we hear running for the gym?
Most Viewed Stories
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Things to Keep You Warm and Dry at a Protest
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
Sexual Assault in the Amazon
Ask Polly: Should I Quit Grad School?
TMZ Reports Trump Will Actually Have Really Cool Inauguration Performers
Your Guide to NYC Inauguration Weekend Protests
From Our Partners
The Fashion Spot
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutHere’s What a Trump Administration Could Mean for Campus Sexual Assault
Betsy DeVos, Trump’s embattled nominee for Secretary of Education, refused to say whether she’d uphold Title IX.A Year and a Half After Mattress Performance, Emma Sulkowicz Wants to Heal You
The doctor is in and the artist is present.Feeling Anxious on Inauguration Day? These Art Museums Are Offering Refuge
Ah, the restorative properties of art.Men Won’t Apply for Job Postings That Use ‘Feminine’ Phrases
They won’t apply if the posting says “sympathetic” or “families.”Answering a Question We Did Not Have, Donald Trump Says He’s ‘Not a Fan’ of Tom Ford
And claims the designer was never asked to dress Melania.Bernie Sanders Reviews the Balenciaga Men’s Collection
He thinks it’s terrific!Ben Affleck Finally Weighs In on Sad Affleck Meme
A look back at one of 2016’s best and most depressing memes.Dozens of Democratic Lawmakers Can’t Come to Trump’s Inauguration Because They’re, Cough, Sick
At least 58 are boycotting.Your Guide to Peeing During the Women’s March on Washington
Because you’ve definitely thought about this.TMZ Reports Trump Will Actually Have Really Cool Inauguration Performers
But organizers, worried about blowback for the artists, won’t name them.
Is it the Pat McGrath?In Praise of Victoria’s Gloriously Over-the-top Updos
Put these on your vision board.American Apparel Made Play Clothes for a Generation of Millennials
Remembering the chain at its best.Please Enjoy These Adorable Old Photos of Barack, Malia, and Sasha Playing in the Snow
Ah, memories.Gloria Steinem Will Totally Give You a Ride to the Women’s March on Washington
Ride-sharing is your friend.Teen Who Was Abducted As a Baby Says She Will ‘Always Love’ Her Alleged Kidnapper
Alexis Manigo sat down with Good Morning America.Here’s a Handy Map of Places Where You Can Warm Up and Meet Up at the Women’s March
Print it out and keep it handy.Ask Polly: Should I Quit Grad School?
Not just yet.Sexual Assault in the Amazon
As the ayahuasca tourism industry grows, so do accounts of abuse.Bella Hadid Is Reportedly ‘Hurt’ by the Weeknd Dating Selena Gomez
But there was never a betrayal.