U.K. Esquire asked eleven fashion designers to each re-create one of its covers from the sixties for its 75th-anniversary June issue. The lineup is impressive: Giorgio Armani, Donatella Versace, Karl Lagerfeld, and Vivienne Westwood all posed. Some stepped out of their comfort zones more than others for the pictorials, like Burberry's Christopher Bailey, who posed nose to nose with a hairy pig lying on the floor. And others, like Miuccia Prada, didn't even show their faces. We've ranked all eleven from our least to most favorite, taking into account the boldness, quirkiness, effort, and coolness reflected in each shot.
11. Alber Elbaz — Alber, dahling, your work at Lanvin makes our knees weak, and we delight in your bow ties when you pop out at the end of every show. But we don't love you nearly as much in crayon. Had you posed this pose in the flesh, you could have been our number one.
10. Miuccia Prada — Again, Miu, dahling, your fairy shoes make us want to forgo electricity in the heat wave to afford them. But the world wants to see your gorgeous face. It's as if you RSVP'd "Yes" to a party and only sent your shoes.
9. Giorgio Armani — This was just too easy. And he didn't even wear a tie! His face just says, "One shot, and I'm done!"
8. Tommy Hilfiger — Snaps to Tommy for dressing up, but this is all a bit heavy and serious for our taste. Just because he lives in New York (and, admittedly, has quite a powerful presence here), doesn't mean he needs to act like he rules New York. He's not Anna Wintour, after all.
7. Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana — At first, we found this quite meh and debated for a long time if it was better than Tommy's shot. But then we noticed it looks like Domenico in the back there has three hands and the choice was clear.
6. Donatella Versace — You're probably wondering why we chose Donatella for this spot when it looks like she, as with Giorgio, really didn't put much into this. But this is probably the fairest skin tone we've ever seen on her, and it probably took some balls for her to go the angelic route.
5. Karl Lagerfeld — Rounding out the top half is the kaiser, of course. Times five! One is never enough, you know.
4. Sir Paul Smith — Smith is Photoshopped onto the edge of the soup can in this shot. Can you imagine how awkward posing for that would be? Way to be comfortable with your knighted self there, Mr. Smith.
3. Christopher Bailey — Ah, yes, here's our sexy Burberry man in the compromising pig shot! We mean, can you think of another designer who gets down with farm animals? Literally?
2. Vivienne Westwood — The shot is simple, but Westwood really puts herself out there in it. By that we mean the wrinkles visible in her face remind us that some women today still grow old without having their faces sliced or pricked with needles. We really do look up to her.
1. John Galliano — Speaking of putting it all out there, Galliano told Esquire, "I didn't choose this cover; it chose me." We can tell. Galliano is posing with the fire of an overeager America's Next Top Model contestant — the face, the propped foot, and the head tilt are perfection. Also, we can't say we've ever seen him this clean shaven. And, um, hello, body! Is that Marc Jacobs we hear running for the gym?
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
Chelsea Clinton Says She Didn’t Initially Know Her Mom Had Pneumonia Because She Was Trying to Power Through It
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
This Lipstick Was Designed by a Woman Who Can See 100 Million Colors
The Y Has Returned in a Big Way to YSL
YogaToes Cured My Lifelong Fear of Bunions
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutExtravagant Makeup Inspired by Marie Antoinette’s Insane Beauty Routine
CR Fashion Book’s latest shoot.Preschool Teachers May Be Racially Bias Against Students, a New Study Found
The findings of a new study show how deeply rooted racism may be.Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
You’ve already done all you can.Kim Kardashian Says She Developed Thick Skin for the Haters Thanks to Kanye West
She says she used to cry when mean things were said about her.Chelsea Clinton Says She Didn’t Initially Know Her Mom Had Pneumonia Because She Was Trying to Power Through It
She says she found out when her mom showed up at her apartment on September 11.Men Who Protested Ryan Lochte’s Presence on Dancing With the Stars Are Charged With Misdemeanors
Two men were charged with two counts of misdemeanors on Monday.Serena Williams Refuses to ‘Stay Silent’ About Racial Inequality
“It’s not how far we have come but how much further still we have to go.”Young Girl Calls for End to Police Brutality in Heartbreaking Speech
It’s a devastating plea.The Y Has Returned in a Big Way to YSL
This is what Saint Laurent looks like post-Hedi.The Most Dramatic Backstage Photos You’ll See All Fashion Month
Preview the book Landon Nordeman: Out of Fashion.
An old cartoon echoes some very modern anxieties.This Lipstick Was Designed by a Woman Who Can See 100 Million Colors
Maureen Seberg can see so many more colors than you.Brad Pitt Skipping Premiere to Focus on ‘Family Situation’
The actor may be gearing up to tell his side of the story in the tabloids this week.Please Help Wesley Snipes Find His Leather Jacket
He will be cold without it.The President of NARAL on What Abortion Means in This Election
It signals how the candidates feel about women.YogaToes Cured My Lifelong Fear of Bunions
The stretch feels like a backbend—but for your feet.Amy Schumer Just Broke a Major Milestone for Women in Comedy
She’s the first woman to land on Forbes’s list of the highest-paid comedians.The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
An ambitious woman and the angry men who want to stop her.Ivanka Trump Is Great for Women, Says Man Married to Ivanka Trump
Ivanka Trump is the perfect person to handle “women’s issues,” according to her husband.World’s First 3-Parent Baby Is a Healthy Boy
He was born in Mexico to Jordanian parents.