U.K. Esquire asked eleven fashion designers to each re-create one of its covers from the sixties for its 75th-anniversary June issue. The lineup is impressive: Giorgio Armani, Donatella Versace, Karl Lagerfeld, and Vivienne Westwood all posed. Some stepped out of their comfort zones more than others for the pictorials, like Burberry's Christopher Bailey, who posed nose to nose with a hairy pig lying on the floor. And others, like Miuccia Prada, didn't even show their faces. We've ranked all eleven from our least to most favorite, taking into account the boldness, quirkiness, effort, and coolness reflected in each shot.
11. Alber Elbaz — Alber, dahling, your work at Lanvin makes our knees weak, and we delight in your bow ties when you pop out at the end of every show. But we don't love you nearly as much in crayon. Had you posed this pose in the flesh, you could have been our number one.
10. Miuccia Prada — Again, Miu, dahling, your fairy shoes make us want to forgo electricity in the heat wave to afford them. But the world wants to see your gorgeous face. It's as if you RSVP'd "Yes" to a party and only sent your shoes.
9. Giorgio Armani — This was just too easy. And he didn't even wear a tie! His face just says, "One shot, and I'm done!"
8. Tommy Hilfiger — Snaps to Tommy for dressing up, but this is all a bit heavy and serious for our taste. Just because he lives in New York (and, admittedly, has quite a powerful presence here), doesn't mean he needs to act like he rules New York. He's not Anna Wintour, after all.
7. Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana — At first, we found this quite meh and debated for a long time if it was better than Tommy's shot. But then we noticed it looks like Domenico in the back there has three hands and the choice was clear.
6. Donatella Versace — You're probably wondering why we chose Donatella for this spot when it looks like she, as with Giorgio, really didn't put much into this. But this is probably the fairest skin tone we've ever seen on her, and it probably took some balls for her to go the angelic route.
5. Karl Lagerfeld — Rounding out the top half is the kaiser, of course. Times five! One is never enough, you know.
4. Sir Paul Smith — Smith is Photoshopped onto the edge of the soup can in this shot. Can you imagine how awkward posing for that would be? Way to be comfortable with your knighted self there, Mr. Smith.
3. Christopher Bailey — Ah, yes, here's our sexy Burberry man in the compromising pig shot! We mean, can you think of another designer who gets down with farm animals? Literally?
2. Vivienne Westwood — The shot is simple, but Westwood really puts herself out there in it. By that we mean the wrinkles visible in her face remind us that some women today still grow old without having their faces sliced or pricked with needles. We really do look up to her.
1. John Galliano — Speaking of putting it all out there, Galliano told Esquire, "I didn't choose this cover; it chose me." We can tell. Galliano is posing with the fire of an overeager America's Next Top Model contestant — the face, the propped foot, and the head tilt are perfection. Also, we can't say we've ever seen him this clean shaven. And, um, hello, body! Is that Marc Jacobs we hear running for the gym?
Most Viewed Stories
‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
Amber Rose, Populist Slut Hero of Our Time
7 Alternatives to Those Sold-Out L.L. Bean Boots
Cindy Crawford on Bagels, Instagirls, and Bringing the Supermodel Era to TV
Portraits of Privilege: A Teen Demands Mac ’n’ Cheese
You Think You’re Too Classy to Drink Champagne From a Bong?
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Our Partners
The Art of Loving and Losing Female Friends
15 Signs You're With A Good Man
This 30-Day Squat Challenge Will Transform Your Body
7 Eyebrow Mistakes You Need to Stop Making Immediately
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutWhy Is My Poop Green, Goth Whopper?
Black food has an unexpectedly bright side.The 50 Most Memorable Bangs Ever
From Audrey Tautou to Zooey Deschanel.All About Chanel’s Airport-Themed Show
Paging Mr. Lagerfeld!John Galliano Doesn’t Do Instagram Eyebrows
Put down the brow pencil.Rihanna Will Never Settle
When it comes to men, she says, "I will wait forever if I have to ... but that’s O.K."Chanel Brings Back the Pigtail
You're going to want two of everything.Adriana Lima on Boxing, Brazilian Beauty Secrets
"It's in the water, I think."Portraits of Privilege: A Teen Demands Mac ’n’ Cheese
It does not end well.Watch the Valentino Livestream
Enjoy!Tour a New York Interior Designer’s Bogotá Pied-à-terre
For when Juan Montoya pops in for a family visit.
She walked, she twerked — and she was pretty inspiring.This IUD Ad Is Actually About Staten Island
Even your birth control doesn’t want to take the ferry.7 Alternatives to Those Sold-Out L.L. Bean Boots
Don't be one of the 100,000 losers waiting for back orders.You Think You’re Too Classy to Drink Champagne From a Bong?
Think again.Assessing Steven Klein’s NARS Collaboration
Does the famed photographer's aesthetic translate to lipstick?‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
It's like whiskey dick, but with weed.The One Beauty Item That Keeps Popping Up at Fashion Month
A new makeup-artist favorite.5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 3
Stripes, embroidered separates, and Céline studded boots.Cindy Crawford on Bagels, Instagirls, and Bringing the Supermodel Era to TV
And how she's helping her daughter navigate the pressures of the modeling industry.Right Now the Exercise Pill Is Nothing But a Beautiful Fantasy
It isn't happening anytime soon.