On Saturday, we infiltrated throngs of hipsters at McCarren Park Pool to check out the goods at the fourth annual Renegade Craft Fair. The selection was heavy on screen-printed tees and letterpress cards, but the range of accessories turned up some interesting finds, like Loyalty and Blood’s patina-painted brass earrings, lacelike cuffs from Nervous System, and slouchy leather shoulder bags from Hoibo. Torrential rains in the afternoon sent shoppers huddling under water-logged tents while the bolder of the bunch sprinted as fast as their skinny jeans would allow them to nearby bars, and forced crafters to pack up their wares in a hurry. In case crowds of hipsters scare you and you missed the fair or you didn't beat the rain, here are a few of our favorite finds and a list of where you can buy them in stores:
• Devendra necklace: Erica Weiner's collection incorporates found objects from around the world. This necklace pairs a mottled feather and a mesh ginkgo-leaf charm on a brass chain ($35). Available at Cog & Pearl, 190 Fifth Ave., at Sackett St., Park Slope, Brooklyn; 718-623-8200
• Fir Earrings: Trained as an illustrator, Laura Su of Prismera Design creates intricate stainless-steel pieces featuring Art Nouveau–inspired botanical shapes like honey locust, fir, or rosemary ($75 to $150). Available at Camilla Boutique, 355 Atlantic Ave., nr. Hoyt St., Boerum Hill, Brooklyn; 718-422-0282.
• Reclaimed-Metal Earrings: Anna Johansson's Anna Built line of earrings is handmade from reclaimed and recycled metals, like tea canisters, enameled cans, or decorative vintage tins ($22). Available at Refinery, 254 Smith St., nr. Degraw St., Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn; 718-643-7861.
• Ant Ring: Though she's known for her whimsical stationery, Leigh Batnick's Vagabond Picnic collection of earrings, necklaces, and rings fitted with gleaming 14-karat-rose-gold ants make for clever summer accent pieces ($200 to $400 each). Available at Catbird, 219 Bedford Ave., at N. 5th St., Williamsburg, Brooklyn; 718-599-3457.
• Poor Little Rich Girl Bracelet: Joanna Petrone's Ach Ach Liebling line of antique-inspired pieces incorporates brass and hand-fabricated plastic ($45). Available at Catbird’s original location, 390 Metropolitan Ave., nr. Havemeyer St., Williamsburg, Brooklyn; 718-388-7688.
• Hand-Crocheted Earrings: A.S.I.S.'s hand-crocheted earrings (short for Angela Spencer's Irresistible Stuff) are woven from vintage cotton, passed down from Spencer’s great-grandmother ($40 to $48). Available at Min-K, 219 Mott St., nr. Spring St.; 212-219-2834.
Most Viewed Stories
‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
Portraits of Privilege: A Teen Demands Mac ’n’ Cheese
How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
Amber Rose, Populist Slut Hero of Our Time
7 Alternatives to Those Sold-Out L.L. Bean Boots
Staving Off Cynicism at Comme des Garçons, McQueen, and Céline
Adriana Lima on Boxing, Brazilian Beauty Secrets
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Our Partners
The Art of Loving and Losing Female Friends
7 Asian Beauty Trends You Need To Try Now
The Day I Told The Ugly Truth About My Marriage
Here's What To Buy From J.Crew's HUGE 75-Percent-Off Sale!
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutInstagram Would Totally Free the Nipple If They Could
Blame Apple!Libertine’s Designer Once Faked a Note From Cher
And other anecdotes from his new book.Maybe Refrain from Tweeting 'Kill All White Men'
We know it's hard.See All the Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Rihanna, Salma Hayek, and Phoebe Philo were among the peacocks.Karl Lagerfeld Won’t Offer Himself Up to Science
He says researchers have approached him about testing his DNA.Charging My Phone in the World’s Most Beautiful Abercrombie
French Abercrombie really is different.The Unexpected Personal Connection Behind the DOMA Decision
In an excerpt from her new memoir, lawyer Roberta Kaplan describes how she first crossed paths with Edie Windsor and Thea Spyer.Lame U.S. Constitution Doesn’t Even Protect Sex Parties
What's the First Amendment even for, anyway?Even in Death, Grandma Will Not Stop Burning Alex Rodriguez
Never stop sassing.Staving Off Cynicism at Comme des Garçons, McQueen, and Céline
A counterpoint to luxury-mongering.
She's a rock star, not a spokesperson.9 Books We’re Reading Right Now
From brand-new thrillers to classic nonfiction.Cate Blanchett Wore a Hot-Pink Suit
Barbie, is that you?Why Is My Poop Green, Goth Whopper?
Black food has an unexpectedly bright side.The 50 Most Memorable Bangs Ever
From Audrey Tautou to Zooey Deschanel.All About Chanel’s Airport-Themed Show
Paging Mr. Lagerfeld!John Galliano Doesn’t Do Instagram Eyebrows
Put down the brow pencil.Rihanna Will Never Settle
When it comes to men, she says, "I will wait forever if I have to ... but that’s O.K."Chanel Brings Back the Pigtail
You're going to want two of everything.Adriana Lima on Boxing, Brazilian Beauty Secrets
"It's in the water, I think."