Isabel Toledo was shocked and thrilled to see Michelle Obama wearing one of her creations at the Vogue/Calvin Klein fund-raiser in June. “She looked amazing,” Toledo told us at F.I.T.'s Couture Council cocktail celebration at her penthouse loft. The best part was that Obama bought the dress at Ikram in Chicago. “I understand that she buys a lot of my work, which is really … I’m very, very honored for that. It’s even better than her contacting me, the fact that she just goes out and buys it!” Toledo said. Toledo says that since then, the hopeful First Lady’s people have been in touch, but she’s mum on what she’s whipping up for Mrs. Glambama. While she says she’d be happy to dress Michelle in anything, after much prodding, Toledo admitted that she has, in fact, been thinking about designs for an inaugural dress should the situation arise. But those will remain in her head unless the Obama camp reaches out to her. “For me, that’s the way to do it,” she says. —Bennett Marcus
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Party Pics: The First Wave From Art Basel Miami
- Gumbel Makes Barneys Race Joke to Barneys CEO
- Tyra Banks Is 40!
- Kimye Plans Super-Subtle Wedding at Versailles
- Liv Tyler Reminds Us to Say Please and Thank You
- Used Princess Di Clothes Sell for $140,000
- ‘Kamikaze Sperm’: Fighting Off Rivals?