New York's media outlets are keenly aware that Fashion Week starts — egad! — one week from tomorrow. They're also aware publishing something to hype it is probably a good idea. The Daily News, for example, published a list of "Fashion's 50 Most Powerful." Now, we understand that churning out a daily newspaper is grueling and time-consuming and that getting a handle on Fashion Week while the Democratic National Convention is going on is a lot to manage. But still, the paper could have put just a touch more time and thought into this list, which is so glaringly off. We can't argue with putting Anna Wintour at No. 1. And though he's helping to change Gap's image, we're not sure we'd put Patrick Robinson before Marc Jacobs. After the jump we list the people on the list we take the most issue with.
3. Marc Jacobs — The crown prince of fashion comes in at No. 3 — and yet, every girl we know owns, wears, and covets something by Marc. We'd inch him a little higher.
14. Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta — Granted both designers have a similar clientele, but lumping them together at a randomly low rank is just puzzling. Not to mention their pull within the industry and their great charitable deeds. Did you do your homework, Daily News?
16. Mary Giuliani —She's the "caterer du jour for the style world (at least when it eats)." And she comes in above…
22. Patricia Field — The woman created the look of Sex and the City, which seriously influenced the way a lot of people view fashion. Strange that she's below a caterer.
30. Michael Oliver —The store manager of Wichcraft in Bryant Park served 10,000 shots of espresso last Fashion Week. He is the 30th most powerful force in the fashion industry. Seriously.
37. Tory Burch — She just won a CFDA for accessories, and she's below the Wichcraft barista.
41. Tim Gunn, Michael Kors, and the Project Runway team — Heidi Klum is probably seething she was left off, but Tim Gunn and Michael Kors not only should have separate entries, but clearly should be higher up. Every time Tim says something about how anyone dresses it becomes a major headline and we all know Michael's sales are through the roof.
44. Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, and Francisco Costa — Wow. These are three of the most-lauded American designers of our time. And they're tied at No. 44? Really?!
Fashion's 50 most powerful [Daily News]
Most Viewed Stories
Meryl Streep Issues Scathing Response to Karl Lagerfeld’s Oscar Dress Comments [UPDATED]
How Christian Siriano Is Changing the Red Carpet
Everyone Realized All at Once That Was Mel Gibson’s Girlfriend, Not His Daughter
Why the Casey Affleck Sexual-Harassment Allegations Just Won’t Stick
The Best, Worst, and Most Headbanded Looks of the 2017 Oscars
How Celebrities Dressed Before ‘the Red Carpet’ Became a Juggernaut
Rereading The Handmaid’s Tale, One Month Into the Trump Era
Behold, Amy Schumer’s Fabulous Alexander McQueen Duvet Coat
Why Red-Carpet Makeup Looks Bad in Real Life
That Jimmy Kimmel Joke About Weight in Hollywood Sounds Kind of Familiar
Latest News from The CutMoms Were the Chicest Trend On the Oscars Red Carpet
Maternal love: timeless.Twist! Moonlight Wins Best Picture After the Oscar is Given to La La Land by Accident
Send flowers to the family of whoever gave Warren Beatty the wrong envelope.Casey Affleck Wins Again
Ben’s little brother won the Academy Award for Best Actor.Director Asghar Farhadi Shouts Down Exclusionary Politics From Afar After The Salesman Wins Best Foreign Language Film
“Dividing the world into the “us” and “our enemies” categories creates fear.”Nicole Kidman Does Not Know How to Clap
What’s happening here?Emma Stone’s Oscars Makeup Was Inspired by a 19th-Century Painter
Her makeup artist explains.The Best and Weirdest Oscars Beauty Looks
From Halle Berry’s mile-high hair to Emma Stone’s cool-girl lip.That Jimmy Kimmel Joke About Weight in Hollywood Sounds Kind of Familiar
Hm. Where have we heard this before?The Best, Worst, and Most Headbanded Looks of the 2017 Oscars
Thus far, the night has declared one clear winner: headbands.Everyone Realized All at Once That Was Mel Gibson’s Girlfriend, Not His Daughter
Ruth Negga, Busy Phillips and more.The Young Professional Whose Mom Paid for Her Breast Augmentation
This week’s sex diary.See Striking Posters Created by a 1970s Feminist Art Collective
A collection of graphic prints from See Red Women’s Workshop.See All of the Red-Carpet Looks From the 2017 Oscars
Ruth Negga, Emma Stone, Meryl Streep, and more are right here.This Year’s Oscar Swag Bag Will Help Strengthen Your Pelvic Floor
Not in the way you might think.This Video Shows 15 of the Most Memorable Oscars Outfits of All Time
Some of the Oscars' most iconic looks.Beyoncé and Jay Z Spotted at the Weinstein Company’s Pre-Oscar Dinner Party
Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.Remy Ma Drops Nicki Minaj Diss Track; Nicki Minaj Responds
Things are just getting started.Behold, Amy Schumer’s Fabulous Alexander McQueen Duvet Coat
The comedian wore a marabou-trimmed duvet coat on her morning coffee run, because why not?Dolce and Gabbana Put on One of the Most Epic Shows of All Time
People were cheering as Austin Mahone performed.