New York's media outlets are keenly aware that Fashion Week starts — egad! — one week from tomorrow. They're also aware publishing something to hype it is probably a good idea. The Daily News, for example, published a list of "Fashion's 50 Most Powerful." Now, we understand that churning out a daily newspaper is grueling and time-consuming and that getting a handle on Fashion Week while the Democratic National Convention is going on is a lot to manage. But still, the paper could have put just a touch more time and thought into this list, which is so glaringly off. We can't argue with putting Anna Wintour at No. 1. And though he's helping to change Gap's image, we're not sure we'd put Patrick Robinson before Marc Jacobs. After the jump we list the people on the list we take the most issue with.
3. Marc Jacobs — The crown prince of fashion comes in at No. 3 — and yet, every girl we know owns, wears, and covets something by Marc. We'd inch him a little higher.
14. Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta — Granted both designers have a similar clientele, but lumping them together at a randomly low rank is just puzzling. Not to mention their pull within the industry and their great charitable deeds. Did you do your homework, Daily News?
16. Mary Giuliani —She's the "caterer du jour for the style world (at least when it eats)." And she comes in above…
22. Patricia Field — The woman created the look of Sex and the City, which seriously influenced the way a lot of people view fashion. Strange that she's below a caterer.
30. Michael Oliver —The store manager of Wichcraft in Bryant Park served 10,000 shots of espresso last Fashion Week. He is the 30th most powerful force in the fashion industry. Seriously.
37. Tory Burch — She just won a CFDA for accessories, and she's below the Wichcraft barista.
41. Tim Gunn, Michael Kors, and the Project Runway team — Heidi Klum is probably seething she was left off, but Tim Gunn and Michael Kors not only should have separate entries, but clearly should be higher up. Every time Tim says something about how anyone dresses it becomes a major headline and we all know Michael's sales are through the roof.
44. Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, and Francisco Costa — Wow. These are three of the most-lauded American designers of our time. And they're tied at No. 44? Really?!
Fashion's 50 most powerful [Daily News]
Most Viewed Stories
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
These Photos of Malia and Sasha Obama’s First Visit to the White House Will Make You Really Nostalgic
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
What Romance Really Means After 10 Years of Marriage
Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of January 16
I’m Anti-Trump, But I Refuse to March
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutWomen’s March on Washington Drops Anti-Choice Partner After Backlash
The Women’s March on Washington faced criticism after partnering with the anti-choice group “New Wave Feminists.”Jeff Goldblum and Emilie Livingston’s Baby Announcement Is Impressive
It’s a real balancing act.One of Kentucky’s Last Two Remaining Abortion Providers to Close Down
As of January 27th, there will only be one abortion clinic remaining in the state.Bella Hadid Got Two Incredibly Tiny Tattoos
Done by tiny tattoo expert JonBoy.Noor Salman, Wife of Pulse Nightclub Shooter, Arrested on Obstruction Charges
The widow previously said she knew nothing of Omar Mateen’s plans.Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
Atif Aslam wasn’t having it.Mariah’s Manager Writes a Message for Her in Lipstick
It’s on a hotel pillow and involves Mariah’s love life.Teen Who Was Abducted the Day She Was Born Reunites With Birth Family
Meanwhile, the man who raised Kamiyah Mobley and thought he was her father says it’s “a shock.”The Worst Thing About Episode One of The Young Pope: Baby Pyramid
Every week, we’ll tell you the worst thing about HBO’s new series The Young Pope.Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of January 16
The sun moves into Aquarius.
Experts share their best tips.Drake Gave Sasha Obama a Little Shout-out
Who’s a fan of whom here?Taylor Swift’s Home Might Become a Historic Landmark
She’s spent millions on restoring her Beverly Hills place to its 1934 glory.Lady Gaga, Danai Gurira, Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman Signed an Open Letter Supporting Education for Girls
The open letter is from campaigning and advocacy organization ONE.The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
This week’s sex diary.This Pioneering Fashion Photographer Captured Complicated Women
Deborah Turbeville transformed fashion photography in the 1970s.Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
“I love this new world, I no longer have to be politically correct.”Saturday Night Live Takes Aim at The Bachelor’s Nick Viall
You know you’ve made it when SNL makes a sketch about you.British Prime Minister Theresa May Lands Her First Vogue Cover
Annie Leibovitz took the photos.Reese Witherspoon Talks Hollywood’s ‘Smurfette Syndrome’ and the Isolation of Being a Woman in Film
“For 25 years, I’ve been the only woman on set.”