New York's media outlets are keenly aware that Fashion Week starts — egad! — one week from tomorrow. They're also aware publishing something to hype it is probably a good idea. The Daily News, for example, published a list of "Fashion's 50 Most Powerful." Now, we understand that churning out a daily newspaper is grueling and time-consuming and that getting a handle on Fashion Week while the Democratic National Convention is going on is a lot to manage. But still, the paper could have put just a touch more time and thought into this list, which is so glaringly off. We can't argue with putting Anna Wintour at No. 1. And though he's helping to change Gap's image, we're not sure we'd put Patrick Robinson before Marc Jacobs. After the jump we list the people on the list we take the most issue with.
3. Marc Jacobs — The crown prince of fashion comes in at No. 3 — and yet, every girl we know owns, wears, and covets something by Marc. We'd inch him a little higher.
14. Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta — Granted both designers have a similar clientele, but lumping them together at a randomly low rank is just puzzling. Not to mention their pull within the industry and their great charitable deeds. Did you do your homework, Daily News?
16. Mary Giuliani —She's the "caterer du jour for the style world (at least when it eats)." And she comes in above…
22. Patricia Field — The woman created the look of Sex and the City, which seriously influenced the way a lot of people view fashion. Strange that she's below a caterer.
30. Michael Oliver —The store manager of Wichcraft in Bryant Park served 10,000 shots of espresso last Fashion Week. He is the 30th most powerful force in the fashion industry. Seriously.
37. Tory Burch — She just won a CFDA for accessories, and she's below the Wichcraft barista.
41. Tim Gunn, Michael Kors, and the Project Runway team — Heidi Klum is probably seething she was left off, but Tim Gunn and Michael Kors not only should have separate entries, but clearly should be higher up. Every time Tim says something about how anyone dresses it becomes a major headline and we all know Michael's sales are through the roof.
44. Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, and Francisco Costa — Wow. These are three of the most-lauded American designers of our time. And they're tied at No. 44? Really?!
Fashion's 50 most powerful [Daily News]
Most Viewed Stories
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutKesha Shows Her Support for Miss Universe Alicia Machado After Being Body-Shamed By Donald Trump
“You did not deserve to be shamed by this monster.”A Glimpse Into Marilyn Monroe’s Private Life
Whoopi Goldberg curated intimate portraits of the icon in a new exhibit, featuring photographs by Milton Greene.Nate Parker Addresses Rape Accusations in 60 Minutes Clip
He went on the record with Anderson Cooper.Paris Fashion Week’s Runways Are Still Overwhelmingly White
It’s been only three days but the numbers are bleak.Misty Copeland Did Her Own Makeup for This Ballet Book
She danced for photographer Gregg Delman's new book.Why Do All My Instagram Cats Keep Dying?
When real life encroaches on the virtual.Hunger Casts a Cruel, All-consuming Spell, Study Confirms
It’s stronger than thirst, fear, or social needs.Female Chess Players Are Furious About Having to Wear Hijabs at the World Championship in Iran
The world championship tournament is in Iran, where women are required to wear hijabs.Man in Tech Actually Admits He Was Wrong
Well, this is a first!The Other Kids in Jennifer Garner’s Daughter’s Class Have a Laptop, Why Can’t She?
Jen told Today she didn’t know tweens need computers.
Bouchra Jarrar’s first collection since taking over from Alber Elbaz at Lanvin.Alyssa Milano on Football, Spinning, and Why She Hates Eating Alone
The mom of two young kids says wellness is a balancing act.The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
Being a royal kid seems like a pretty sweet deal.The Male Model Who Has Appeared on More Romance Novel Covers Than Fabio
Jason Baca talks romance-novel cover modeling and eating a ton of chicken breasts.The Retro Stain Remover I Use on Everything
Don’t mind the smell — that’s how you know it’s working.My Toddler Is Having a Halloween Identity Crisis
She doesn’t want to be someone other than herself.New York Magazine’s ‘Sex Lives’: Can Masturbation Be a Radical Act?
This week’s podcast.Rob Kardashian Had a Childhood Crush on His Sister Kim Kardashian, and Now You Know About It Too
It’s 2016, everybody.We May Never Find Out What Happened Between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
The two have reportedly entered into “private negotiations.”Why Am I Always Tired?
Don't assume it's a health problem.