Project Runway has been rescued! Hooray! Judge Richard B. Lowe III, a.k.a. our hero, ruled on Friday that Project Runway's move to Lifetime cannot go ahead as planned because NBC Universal should have had a right to match the terms of the deal made with the Weinstein Co. This means Lifetime cannot air Project Runway, market or promote the program, or offer any spinoffs it had planned. Lifetime is pretty screwed because the network had already started filming season six in L.A., the first episode of which Lindsay Lohan guest-judged. The network had also planned its winter lineup around Runway, which was slated to begin on January 7. Lifetime said in a statement it was "disappointed" by the judge's decision, and ironically added, "It’s unfortunate that the people hurt most by this ongoing dispute are the loyal fans of ‘Project Runway.’" Sorry, Lifetime, but we couldn't be more thrilled that our Runway no longer faces being bookended by poorly acted movies filled with stalkers, dead or missing children, and Joanna Kerns. And that "face-lift" Heidi Klum kept talking about didn't tickle us, either. That said, we do hope Lindsay will guest-judge season six, no matter which network lands the show.
The Weinstein Co. plans to appeal the ruling. A trial date will be set on October 15, though it's possible NBC and the Weinsteins could settle out of court. So NBC, we're counting on you!
‘Project Runway’ Move to Lifetime Is Blocked [NYT]
Related: Next ‘Project Runway’ Challenge: A Lawsuit! (Pun Intended)
Heidi Klum: ‘Project Runway’ Will Get a Face-lift on Lifetime
Lindsay Lohan to Guest-Judge ‘Project Runway’ on Lifetime