Tomorrow Elle's fashion-assistant-competition reality show, Stylista, premieres on the CW. But don't order the good cupcakes and invite all your friends over just yet. We've seen the first two episodes, and frankly, we found it kind of boring. It has its redeeming qualities, however, so we can't decide if Stylista's closer to guilty-pleasure-bad or just bad-bad. We'll have to watch another episode or so before we decide. (You know, kind of how we were on the fence about Work Out, but after spending a good part of an afternoon with it, we were hooked).
So in anticipation for Wednesday night's premiere, let's reason through the show's guilty pleasures and why it's also just plain guilty.
WHY IT'S A GUILTY PLEASURE
1. Boobs. One of the contestants shows up to work on the first day with her ample bosom bursting out of her dress. The bitchy contestants label her Boobs and call her this loud enough for her to overhear them. Then she gets overdramatic and cries about it a lot.
2. These people have no idea how to make a magazine. One of the contestants edits NYU's fashion publication. Yet in the challenge requiring them to make a contributor's page, she makes hers neon yellow and hideous in every other way you can imagine. You don't have to work in the magazine business to know Elle would never run something like that. Oh, also, she's majoring in fashion marketing and writing for fashion (or something long-winded like that), which she probably made up herself since NYU lets kids do that.
3. Joe Zee says what we're all thinking. Joe tells the contestants to their face in the first episode exactly what he thinks of their clothes, and his opinion is kind of, well, factual. For example, the NYU girl wears a fifties-style purple hat, and Joe basically tells her it's annoying when people wear purple hats in the office all day.
4. Someone goes to the hospital in the second episode. We won't spoil it by saying anymore, but it's so dramatic!
WHY IT'S GUILTY OF BEING BAD-BAD:
1. Too much acting. Joe and Anne Slowey are not acting like themselves. Anne is icy when we imagine she's actually a bubbly sort of lady. Also, she walks really awkwardly in high heels leading us to believe she hardly ever wears them. And Joe is much more delightful than the hard-ass he plays on the show. We think their true personalities would have been more entertaining.
2. It's obviously not shot at Elle. You'll see when you watch the show how staged their "office" is. We know the reality-television business is all fake, but we like to be able to pretend it has at least a little bit of authenticity to it.
3. The stakes are too low. And this is a fundamental problem with the show. Project Runway is exciting because the designers get to show in Bryant Park. The stakes are actual career advancement. This show is only going to help the contestants get a job on another reality show.
4. The challenges are boring. Watching models wear steak bikinis in photo shoots on ANTM is a phenomenal way to spend an evening. Watching people snip at sheets of paper and glue the pieces together to make a magazine page (because that's how magazines do it these days?) is a snooze.
Most Viewed Stories
That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Reportedly Spotted at the Women’s March
What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
Museums Across the World Are Collecting Women’s March Signs
Like Trump, Taylor Swift Cares About Numbers
Calvin Klein Quietly Unveils First Raf Simons Collection
The Future of the Left Is Female
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.