Last night at the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund award dinner Diane Von Furstenberg told us she has submitted sketches for Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gown. "Well, they asked me to. Of course, everybody has," she said. "I'm so proud to be an American. Otherwise, right now we would all be so depressed." But Giles Mendel told us he had not been asked to submit ideas. Thakoon Panichgul, one of Michelle's favorite designers, tried to remain elusive when we asked if he'd submitted sketches. "Um … we'll see what happens," he said with a devilish smirk. We're guessing Michelle doesn't have any Alexander Wang hanging in her closet, but the designer would like her to know it's never too late to board the Wang train. "Hey, if she's ready for some ripped jeans and T-shirts, I'm all here. All she has to do is call," Wang told us. "It's all about change, right? She can do it. No more three-piece suits, it's about change."
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb