The December 2008 Vogue — featuring a crabby-looking Jennifer Aniston and a cover blurb trumpeting yet another wronged-woman comment about Angelina ("What she did was very uncool") — could easily have come out in 2007. Or 2005, for that matter: Three years and nine months after Brad Pitt and Aniston separated, we're hearing stale scoop as if it happened yesterday. Fueled anew by Vogue's out-of-context cover line, the split's increasingly ugly tabloid life may eventually exceed that of the marriage itself. And it's in good company: In honor of The Feud That Won't Die, here's our highly scientific (read: based on our memories) list of the top ten other worst Hollywood breakups in recent memory.
1. Heather Mills and Paul McCartney: With most of the British press calling her a money-grubbing tart, Mills fired back by alleging Paul was an abusive and boring drunk who hid her prosthetic leg and forced her to crawl to the loo. They spewed vitriol for almost two years until the settlement was finalized, at which point Mills pocketed $38.5 million and punctuated it by chucking water in Macca's lawyer's face. Melrose Place would've loved her.
2. Anne Hathaway and Raffaello Follieri: Anne Hathaway herself called her bust-up with the now-jailed Follieri earth-scorchingly bad. We can’t disagree: Anything that ends with your pathological-liar boyfriend under investigation by the FBI for cheating church officials and others out of large sums of money and requires you to surrender all your jewelry to the authorities is tough to beat. Unless you are Heather Mills.
3. Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards: Their tacky, gross behavior took divorce to new, fascinating levels of tacky gross-itude. Two years of rapid-fire mud-slinging — she claimed he threatened to kill her and ogled underage naked boys online; he painstakingly issued repeated passive-aggressive denials — ensured that the biggest losers are their kids, who have countless tabloid souvenirs of how much their parents hate each other.
4. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez: Remember the heyday of Bennifer 1.0, when a faux-tanned Ben made bum-massaging cameos in J.Lo’s videos? And she went on Dateline to gush about how she loves to make Ben Shake and Bake chicken? And then the Enquirer claimed Affleck cheated with a bunch of Canadian strippers, the wedding was “postponed” at the last minute, and next thing you know, they were kaput? That was fun. Although probably not for them.
5. Madonna and Guy Ritchie: Rumor has it Madge cheated on Guy with A-Rod, but rumor also has it that Guy is a total jerk. We’ve also heard there isn’t a prenup, so this fresh but festering one could get spectacularly nasty. Time will tell, but we wouldn’t want to fight Madonna on anything, especially since she’s hired Paul McCartney’s divorce lawyer. Also, we’ve seen her biceps.
6. Tom Brady and Bridget Moynahan: Kids, don't have ex sex, or else you might end up skulking around Los Angeles looking (understandably) sour-faced and hugely pregnant while your hot quarterback baby daddy shacks up with a Victoria's Secret model. The tabloids branded him a hopeless cad; she allegedly refused to speak to him at the birth. On one hand, we feel you, sister. On the other, isn't it dirty pool to use your baby to make a point?
7. David Duchovny and Tea Leoni: It’s a tale as old as time: Husband allegedly sleeps with his tennis instructor; husband claims to be a sex addict and goes to rehab; he and wife ultimately divorce … in part because she’s allegedly been hooking up with Billy Bob Thornton. Bonus points for the surprise ending there.
8. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman: He allegedly, and so very gently, called their ten-year marriage a "passionless hell" and then explained its demise thusly: "Nicole knows why." Apparently, his chatty, couch-jumping side was on vacation. The more Nicole waxed confused, the less Tom said, leaving the grapevine to seek answers everywhere from possible infidelity to Scientology to her sad rumored miscarriage — all of which got dredged up again once he hopped on the marriage-go-round with sudden love goddess and fertile-myrtle Katie Holmes. It's dizzying, and we're tired.
9. Sophia Bush and Chad Michael Murray: This didn’t get as much press as the others, but think how awkward it would be if your husband allegedly cheated on you with Paris Hilton, you had to annul the marriage less than six months into it, and then you still had to go to work with him every day and occasionally make out with him. This is why they advise against dating co-workers.
10. Balthazar and Rosetta Getty: When your husband is snapped frolicking with a topless Sienna Miller in a twee little sailor hat, there is no more Mrs. Nice Mother-of-Four. Rosetta stayed above the fray, but the war of words — and smug photos of the couple "in love" — turned ugly when Miller's apartment got tagged with "SLUT" graffiti. Unsurprisingly, now they've BOTH dumped his ass.
Honorable Mention: Certain celebs attract drama no matter who they’re dating. Here’s a special shout-out to Sienna Miller (remember Jude Law and Nannygate?); Anne Heche, whose splits with Ellen DeGeneres and Coley Laffoon were dramatic and bitter; and John Mayer, who’s never met a breakup he couldn’t use for attention, blog fodder, and/or PR. Jennifer Aniston, consider yourself warned.
Most Viewed Stories
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
Here’s the Official List of Speakers for the Women’s March on Washington
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Sexual Assault in the Amazon
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Things to Keep You Warm and Dry at a Protest
Your Guide to Peeing During the Women’s March on Washington
TMZ Reports Trump Will Actually Have Really Cool Inauguration Performers
Your Guide to NYC Inauguration Weekend Protests
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.