We're heading into a New Year, coming off the worst holiday shopping season in some 40 years, with Chanel pretty much in crisis, retailers taking a rain check on couture, and everyone in the business of selling clothes very, very scared. But the clothing market is not wholly doomed for 2009, as this generation of kids has set out to be the chicest yet. Designer childrenswear is outperforming womenswear in the economic downturn. WWD boldly proclaims that the category is experiencing "bullish year-on-year growth." Why? “There are a lot fewer kids’ brands than adult brands so there’s space to fill, and there’s a whole mini-me [phenomenon] going on where women want to see their kids as extensions of themselves,” ex-Bonpoint designer and artistic director Domitille Brion says. Another kids'-fashion-market analyst cites plateauing birthrates as a reason for the baby-fashion boom, as well as the increased number of career moms with more disposable income.
• Jean Paul Gaultier plans to launch a kids' line next fall.
• Acne launched a kids' line last fall. The label's co-founder says making kids'-store display windows "is so much fun."
• Surface to Air's kids' line for the rebellious set, called Fangs, includes organic T-shirts, sweatshirts, and jeans illustrated by Gordan Hull and will hit racks this spring.
• Anne Valérie Hash launched a kids' collection (one little mohair coat: about $500).
• Moschino's kids' collection will include three categories, Baby, Kid, and Teen, and hit retail stores in July.
• Antonio Marras has been appointed artistic director of Kenzo's kids' line. His first line is for fall 2009.
• Lacoste is developing a more fashion-forward kids' line due out in the spring. Also in the works: a limited-edition kids' line (because kids' clothes make great collectors' items).
• Burberry will open free-standing kids' stores in places like New York, Hong Kong, and Palo Alto, California, which sound like the cutest thing ever.
• Blumarine opened its first kids' shop in Harrods this summer and then two Miss Blumarine flagships in the Ukraine.
• D&G's kids' sales rose by 30 percent in 2008.
• Bonpoint is launching a kids' beauty line in the spring and will possibly open kids' spas.
• Phoebe Philo just took over design for Celine, and might launch a kids' line for the house.
No word on how much of this stuff is machine-washable, which is a frightening, frightening thought. (Though now might be a good time for out-of-work bankers to consider opening dry-cleaning businesses.) We all know who we have to blame for this scary proliferation: Suri Cruise. We think we heard on E! or some such that she's now more photographed than her parents, undoubtedly for "her" fashion sense. No better message to send to the Über-young and impressionable than the one that image is everything. Just imagine the cover of Us Weekly in twenty years — "Downfall of a Baby Fashionista." Hey, we are just fine entering old age with the advent of tween rehab.
Most Viewed Stories
Melania Trump Is Reportedly ‘Miserable’ in Her Role As First Lady
When Good Christian Girls Need Planned Parenthood
Nighttime Voice-mails From the White House
My Daughter’s Suburban Childhood Looks Nothing Like My Urban One
Trump Somehow Found a Way to Insult Women at the Unveiling of an Airplane
Fixer Upper’s First Single Bachelor Is Causing Some Drama
Angelina Jolie Attended the Premiere of Her New Movie in Cambodia
Chrissy Teigen on ‘Underrepresented’ Asian Models and Appropriation
Zoe Saldana Shares the First Photo of Her Newborn Baby
Angela Merkel Is Also Powerless Against Justin Trudeau’s Gaze
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.