Yes, were struck by Aretha Franklin's hat at the inauguration yesterday. Many negative thoughts on it have been blogged since. Some simply labeled it ludicrous while others accused it of stealing attention from Barack's speech. At first we found it outlandish, but on closer consideration decided Aretha probably didn't think it would cause such a fuss. She got the hat (made of wool and embellished with Swarovski crystals) from Detroit-based milliner Luke Song. Song says he makes hats for Aretha all the time and she wanted something special for the big day (it will run in his regular collection for $179, in case you've got a Derby to attend in the near future). But we can totally see Aretha — who wears large hats regularly — waltz in there and decide a giant, stiff, crystal-embellished bow would be just the thing for the ceremony. Kind of like Blair Waldorf might select a headband without thinking twice about what the rest of us see. Go big or go home! And would you have wanted Aretha to go home? Of course not! Below, a few more reactions to the hat.
• This article notes the hat could become controversial for drawing attention away from Barack's speech. However: "[L]arge hats are traditional among older black women in the Baptist tradition ... Franklin's choice of headwear was entirely appropriate for the occasion because it is reminiscent of the style of hat that legendary gospel singer Mahalia Jackson wore when she sang in front of 200,000 people at the March on Washington in 1963. This is where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered what is arguably the most magnificent and inspiring speech in history, the 'I've Got a Dream' speech." [Associated Content]• On a lighter note, Ellen DeGeneres wears a similar hat on her talk show today. "That would of [sic] been so embarrassing. The next thing you know, we would have been in Us Weekly's 'Who Wore it Better?'" she kids. "They said this is the only one they made! I can't believe it!" Ha. [Us]
• Best Week Ever is asking readers to make their own animated Blingees with a photo of Aretha in the hat. They've provided two examples: One includes a white cat and a disco ball while the other includes a roll of toilet paper that reads 2009 and a cigarette. Click and you'll understand. [Best Week Ever]
• This blogger thinks Aretha's bold fashion statement will save the hat industry and found a number of similar styles regular folks can buy. Ooh, ooh, us first! [MyItThings]
• This blogger has declared bows on hats a trend and compiled a collection of hats with bows you can buy. These bows are tiny by comparison and somewhat disappointing. [Etsy]
• Only a women's magazine: "[Y]es, it might be considered a DON'T on a lesser woman, on a less important kind of day. But here, today, on Aretha, it totally works: you have to give the Queen of Soul major props for flaunting her signature, spotlight-stealing style on such a momentous occasion. Besides, it beats all those Elmer Fudd–like trapper hats we've seen so much of lately." What say you? [Glamour]
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Our Scowling Hero Breaks a Smile
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutKim Kardashian Says She Developed Thick Skin for the Haters Thanks to Kanye West
She says she used to cry when mean things were said about her.Chelsea Clinton Says She Didn’t Initially Know Her Mom Had Pneumonia Because She Was Trying to Power Through It
She says she found out when her mom showed up at her apartment on September 11.Men Who Protested Ryan Lochte’s Presence on Dancing With the Stars Are Charged With Misdemeanors
Two men were charged with two counts of misdemeanors on Monday.Serena Williams Refuses to ‘Stay Silent’ About Racial Inequality
“It’s not how far we have come but how much further still we have to go.”Young Girl Calls for End to Police Brutality in Heartbreaking Speech
It’s a devastating plea.The Y Has Returned in a Big Way to YSL
This is what Saint Laurent looks like post-Hedi.The Most Dramatic Backstage Photos You’ll See All Fashion Month
Preview the book Landon Nordeman: Out of Fashion.Even 100 Years Ago, People Were Worried About Technology Ruining Relationships
An old cartoon echoes some very modern anxieties.This Lipstick Was Designed by a Woman Who Can See 100 Million Colors
Maureen Seberg can see so many more colors than you.Brad Pitt Skipping Premiere to Focus on ‘Family Situation’
The actor may be gearing up to tell his side of the story in the tabloids this week.
He will be cold without it.The President of NARAL on What Abortion Means in This Election
It signals how the candidates feel about women.YogaToes Cured My Lifelong Fear of Bunions
The stretch feels like a backbend—but for your feet.Amy Schumer Just Broke a Major Milestone for Women in Comedy
She’s the first woman to land on Forbes’s list of the highest-paid comedians.The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
An ambitious woman and the angry men who want to stop her.Ivanka Trump Is Great for Women, Says Man Married to Ivanka Trump
Ivanka Trump is the perfect person to handle “women’s issues,” according to her husband.World’s First 3-Parent Baby Is a Healthy Boy
He was born in Mexico to Jordanian parents.Nation Recovers From Post-Debate Hangover With Mary J. Blige and Hillary Clinton Memes
“What will you do to fix the national epidemic of hateration in this dancerie?”The Hottest Party of the Year Is This 6-Year-Old’s Drake-Themed Birthday Party
It has everything: an OVO cake, Drake balloons, fake money.See Haute Couture’s Most Romantic Looks
Intricate pieces, out for a stroll around Paris.