Yes, were struck by Aretha Franklin's hat at the inauguration yesterday. Many negative thoughts on it have been blogged since. Some simply labeled it ludicrous while others accused it of stealing attention from Barack's speech. At first we found it outlandish, but on closer consideration decided Aretha probably didn't think it would cause such a fuss. She got the hat (made of wool and embellished with Swarovski crystals) from Detroit-based milliner Luke Song. Song says he makes hats for Aretha all the time and she wanted something special for the big day (it will run in his regular collection for $179, in case you've got a Derby to attend in the near future). But we can totally see Aretha — who wears large hats regularly — waltz in there and decide a giant, stiff, crystal-embellished bow would be just the thing for the ceremony. Kind of like Blair Waldorf might select a headband without thinking twice about what the rest of us see. Go big or go home! And would you have wanted Aretha to go home? Of course not! Below, a few more reactions to the hat.
• This article notes the hat could become controversial for drawing attention away from Barack's speech. However: "[L]arge hats are traditional among older black women in the Baptist tradition ... Franklin's choice of headwear was entirely appropriate for the occasion because it is reminiscent of the style of hat that legendary gospel singer Mahalia Jackson wore when she sang in front of 200,000 people at the March on Washington in 1963. This is where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered what is arguably the most magnificent and inspiring speech in history, the 'I've Got a Dream' speech." [Associated Content]• On a lighter note, Ellen DeGeneres wears a similar hat on her talk show today. "That would of [sic] been so embarrassing. The next thing you know, we would have been in Us Weekly's 'Who Wore it Better?'" she kids. "They said this is the only one they made! I can't believe it!" Ha. [Us]
• Best Week Ever is asking readers to make their own animated Blingees with a photo of Aretha in the hat. They've provided two examples: One includes a white cat and a disco ball while the other includes a roll of toilet paper that reads 2009 and a cigarette. Click and you'll understand. [Best Week Ever]
• This blogger thinks Aretha's bold fashion statement will save the hat industry and found a number of similar styles regular folks can buy. Ooh, ooh, us first! [MyItThings]
• This blogger has declared bows on hats a trend and compiled a collection of hats with bows you can buy. These bows are tiny by comparison and somewhat disappointing. [Etsy]
• Only a women's magazine: "[Y]es, it might be considered a DON'T on a lesser woman, on a less important kind of day. But here, today, on Aretha, it totally works: you have to give the Queen of Soul major props for flaunting her signature, spotlight-stealing style on such a momentous occasion. Besides, it beats all those Elmer Fudd–like trapper hats we've seen so much of lately." What say you? [Glamour]
Most Viewed Stories
Will We Abandon Women’s Rights in the Name of Progressive Politics?
When Women Pursue Sex, Even Men Don’t Get It
Is This the Weirdest Taylor Swift Romance Rumor Yet?
A Funny Thing Happens When Women Begin to Outearn Their Husbands
Why Are All the Gays Still Obsessed With Big Little Lies?
American Airlines Apologizes for Flight-Attendant Incident With Mom and Stroller
Girlboss Will Make You Nostalgic, But Maybe Not in a Good Way
This Drugstore Beauty Brand Tricked Millennials by Pretending to Be Fancy
Married Man Fakes Airport Hijacking to Get Out of Trip With Online Girlfriend
Ask Polly: What Am I Doing Wrong With Men?
Latest News from The CutSerena Williams and Alexis Ohanian Are Taking a Well-Deserved Vacation
Dare we say … a babymoon?Caitlyn Jenner Confirms She’s Had Her ‘Final’ Sex-Reassignment Surgery
She appeared on 20/20 with Diane Sawyer Friday night.Elisabeth Moss Isn’t Convinced The Handmaid’s Tale Is Feminist
“It’s a human story, because women’s rights are human rights.”Steve Bannon Unironically Referred to Megyn Kelly As ‘The Devil’
In a conversation with Roger Ailes, of all people.Rosario Dawson Is Happy to Be Publicly Dating Eric Andre, But Would Be Happier If Tongue Pics Had Not Been Required As Proof
They journal together, for heaven’s sake.Pregnant Beyoncé Came to Slay in New Instagram Photos
Take that, haters.Is This the Weirdest Taylor Swift Romance Rumor Yet?
This tech CEO declared he’s not dating Taylor Swift, thank you very much.American Airlines Apologizes for Flight-Attendant Incident With Mom and Stroller
Things get tense over a baby stroller in this viral video.Oprah Is the Oprah of Red-Carpet Appearances
She’s hitting the red carpet for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and it is glorious.Andy Warhol Painted These Prints While Living With 25 Cats
See rare drawings from the artist’s newly reprinted book.
“Would you ask a man that? No, you wouldn’t ask a man about power outfits.”Get Yourself a Cool Handbag on Deep Discount at This Sample Sale
KARA’s minimalist bags are up to 70 percent off.Will We Abandon Women’s Rights in the Name of Progressive Politics?
The American left is flirting with a depressingly retro future.Now Introducing: The Finnish Sport of Wife-Carrying
Like Tough Mudder, but with a woman on your back.Kendall Jenner and Ashley Graham Partied This Week
Plus: Naomi Watts, Priyanka Chopra, Drew Barrymore.Why Are These the Most Popular Beauty Looks Right Now?
Bronde, brows, and non-boring hair.Veda’s Warehouse Sale Is the Best Way to Buy a Fancy Leather Jacket for Way Less
It’ll run until Sunday.Tyra Banks Anoints Ashley Graham as the Queen of Beauty
She wrote about it in Time.Rape Victims Often End Up Paying $1,000 for Going to the ER
A new study looked at costs incurred by privately insured women.Another Michigan Doctor Was Arrested for Female Genital Mutilation
Dr. Fakhruddin Attar’s case is connected to Dr. Jumana Nagarwala’s from last week.