The fall runways in New York were awash with eighties-era neon and power suits. But for those still wary of sporting shoulder pads, recently opened menswear store Teddy Boy brings a dose of dapper fifties style to the Lower East Side — evidenced by the growing number of waistcoat-wearing hipsters we've spotted skulking around downtown bars. Designed by Evan Ferber and Ahmed Abdallah (also the owner of St. Marks boutique Ohmash), the Teddy Boy label references the British fashion movement of the fifties — later revived by rockabilly fans in the seventies — mixing Edwardian pomp with some greaser flair: drape jackets and leather bombers, skinny ties, waistcoats, lace-up boots, and tapered jeans. Shoppers can browse seasonal, limited runs of ready-to-wear items or order custom-made suits, jackets, and coats from the label. (Check back later this spring for new shipments of vintage sunglasses from Persol and Cazal.) Click ahead to view some Teddy Boy style essentials.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?