Greenpoint womenswear boutique Alter 140 underwent a shockingly quick renovation this week, going from a rubble-filled construction site on Monday to a sleek new space this morning. Handy co-owners Roy Caires and Tommy Cole completed the overhaul themselves, knocking out the back wall (and part of the ceiling) and rebuilding a new one using salvaged wood and shutters. They also added new light fixtures and built their own clothing displays with reclaimed furniture and recycled raw materials. (See more photos of the impressive demolition earlier this week on the store's blog.) The revamp adds 240 square feet to the rear of the store and gussies up the interior so that it's more on par with Alter's original menswear outpost across the street. The dolled-up space reopened at noon today, so swing by this weekend to check it out. Seems like Topshop could have taken a few pointers from these guys ...
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve