This week's designer to watch, Alison Lewis, has already managed to conquer the big screen. Epically so, you could say. Mooka Kinney, the now-defunct label Lewis co-founded back in 2006, graced the body of Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex and the City. (The fabulous foursome are in Mexico and Sarah Jessica Parker walks to the water, holds her phone, and throws it in the ocean, all while wearing a Mooka Kinney sundress.) Such prominent placement garnered Lewis enough attention for her own eponymous line (launched spring '09) to score spots at Barneys and Steven Alan come this September. The collection itself, which is heavy on the vintage inspiration (Lewis is an avid vintage collector), is clothing for the girlie girl with a busy schedule. "In my experience I've always had day jobs, so I wanted to make pieces that you could wear to work and then wear out," Lewis explains. "New York has a big influence on that. I think there is that aspect here that people go to parties straight from work." Indeed, her twelve-piece fall collection is full of work-to-night staples: boxy floral blouses, patterns, prints, scoop backs, and dresses that would be right at home on the set of Mad Men. It's a nice, grown-up departure from the baby-doll dresses we saw from her in spring. The line is currently sold at Duo and Shop but with the growing list of stores, we expect to see Lewis in many more locations soon enough. Of course, there's no word yet on whether SJP plans on wearing Lewis in the sequel. Check out our favorite pieces from her fall collection.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve