Models, shmodels. Last night's Costume Institute Gala, as many papers this morning would have you believe, was all about Madonna. Screw the vintage Scavullo photographs of Lauren Hutton, screw Brooke Shields's infamous Calvins from the eighties, screw Gisele in her fabric scrap of a minidress, but most of all, screw Kate Moss's turban. None of those things matter when Madonna shows up looking like a cleaning lady moonlighting as a stripper who washed her Xanax down with one too many margaritas before she changed outfits. And it was a genius, if not very attractive, fashion moment for her and Marc Jacobs, who designed the Louis Vuitton ensemble. Because on a night dedicated to the world's most beautiful women, no one — especially a non-model — could win by trying to look the most beautiful. So looking a bit drunk before you actually got drunk wasn't a bad way to steal attention from Kate Moss and her paltry headpiece. And she got plenty of attention. Here's what some other news outlets thought of Madonna's very special ensemble.
• The L.A. Times thought Madge looked "ready for Neverland ... like the love child of Tinkerbell and Captain Hook." The paper asks if Madonna's hat was wackier than the one Sarah Jessica Parker wore to the Sex and the City movie premiere in London. We'd say so, but what say you? [Dish Rag/LAT]
• The London Times said the ball "ensured many new entries into the best and worst-dressed celebrity lists," and cited Madonna as the "worst offender." Her bunny ears made her "look more like a glamorous cleaning lady than a fashion icon." [Times UK]
• British Marie Claire noted without comment that Madonna's outfit "brought out her 80s side," and suggested the pop star used it as a distraction from the difficulty she's having adopting Mercy James from Malawi. The magazine also notes that Jesus Luz, who attended as Madge's date, looked "super suave." [British Marie Claire]
• The Insider writes that many "what the hell were they thinking" looks walked the carpet last night. André Leon Talley's was the worst, but Madonna looked no less ridiculous, they argue, in her "Alice in Wonderland Louis Vuitton mess." [Insider]
• The Daily Mail proclaims Madonna, Rihanna, and Stella McCartney the worst fashion disasters of the night. "[Madonna]'s bizarre mini-puffball outfit, thigh-high dominatrix style boots and starched fabric headdress from Louis Vuitton's Autumn/Winter 2009 collection saw her veer into the realms of pantomime as she looked less like a Material Girl and more like a bonfide A-list fashion disaster." Surprisingly, this paper was one of the few that still noticed Madonna's "rippling muscles." And some of us still remember Madonna as the original First Arms. [Daily Mail]
Most Viewed Stories
Ask Polly: I Overshared My Way Out of a Boyfriend!
What, Exactly, Are Melania and Ivanka Trump Trying to Sell?
The Supreme-Branded Metrocard Is Here
Malia Obama Went to the Club
Roxane Gay Calls Out Simon & Schuster After They Drop Milo Yiannopoulos
The Single Guy Who’s Pretty Sure He Split the Bill
Even Gwen Stefani’s Kids Think It’s Weird If She Doesn’t Wear Makeup
Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, and Oprah Winfrey Are Having the Time of Their Lives in New Zealand
Melania Trump Removes Language About Making Millions While First Lady From Lawsuit
Alt-Right Troll Milo Yiannopoulos Uses Campus Visit to Openly Mock a Transgender Student
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.