Tyra Banks told New York Times Magazine writer Lynn Hirschberg that she gets up in the morning every day to “expand the idea of beauty.” Speaking at the TimesTalks series, Banks offered this as an explanation for her “short season” of America's Next Top Model. The talk provided Banks with yet another platform to discuss the struggles she faced in her modeling days, including the battle with her weight. Once she started developing curves, Banks said, her agency gave her a long list of designers who wouldn’t use her unless she lost “a lot of weight — hips and breasts.” But Banks chose pizza and planned her jump to commercial modeling. “I like to say that I was one of those girls that helped bridge high, high fashion and commercial fashion. Back then, you were mass or you were class. Now you have girls like Gisele Bündchen — high fashion with a Victoria’s Secret contract,” she said. But blackness, she adds, is still not commercial. “In the high-fashion world, darker black skin is considered beautiful. But on the commercial side, you have girls like myself, Beyoncé, and Halle Berry, with light black skin. I make a point to have beautiful chocolate girls on Top Model who are also girls next door.”
Tyra's spending the summer overhauling her talk show. "What you will see in September 09 is not what you see now,” she said. Hirschberg said Banks has an “athletic focus” that made her feel pretty inadequate when they spent time together. “I feel like a teenager still,” Banks said. “It lives inside of me.” But she adds that she’s never been drunk, isn’t really into clothes, and works weekends — so we’re not sure what kind of teenager she’s talking about.
And, of course, Banks addressed those 275 smiles she made an Internet video about for the Times last year. She even called a few audience members up onstage to demonstrate these smiles. Oh, Tyra. Never leaving the house without humiliating people. Herewith, her wisdom:
• The Flirting-With-a-Man Smile: “Turn your shoulder to your man, move your face down, and use a sound effect, a little hmmmmmmmmm,” Banks said. (That “hmmmmmmm” is more of a cat purring than a “What should I have for lunch today? Hmmmmm,” obviously.)
• The Surprise Smile: “We’re not smiling like the surprise is real — it’s not ‘OMG, are you serious?’" Banks said. It’s a hand to the cheek, and a gasp. Remember, the surprise isn’t like, swine flu or an unexpected breakup; it’s more of a “I forgot my contacts at home!”
• The Catalogue Smile: This is the smile that sells J.Crew sweaters. “Put the left foot forward, and turn your head ahead as if there’s wind whipping you that way, and smile with your hand on your head and parted teeth. So walk forward with your hand on your right cheek, and step with your left foot, so your booty sticks out.” She then suggests you add a dainty “ahhhh” as a sound effect. Still following?
• The Angry Smile: Save this one for “bitches,” Banks said. You move a hand to your hip, look forward, “dip that booty to the right,” and let your face say “Okay, okay, okay, uh-huh.” This actually make sense in person.
• The Smile With the Eyes ©: “This is crucial,” she said. “It’s on magazine covers, it sells perfume, it sells shoes.” Hirschberg admitted this smile "has changed everything” for her. Tyra recommends pulling your shoulders down, facing forward, pretending there’s a string pulling your head up and that a dentist shot you in the mouth with Novocain. She said it’s “almost like you’re in Star Trek.” But if we could all do it, Tyra Banks wouldn't be so special now, would she?
TimesTalks Twitter [Cutblog/Twitter]
Most Viewed Stories
The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
American Apparel Files for Bankruptcy
‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
Astrology GIFs for the Week of October 5, 2015
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
All the Ceilings Women Keep Hitting Their Heads On
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
Ellie Kemper Thinks Kimmy Schmidt Would Fit in Well in Greenpoint
From Our Partners
'Scream Queens' Parodies Taylor Swift In New Halloween Episode
Women's Health: These Women Defy The Stereotype That Yogis Only Come In One Shape and Size
20 Marble Nail Art Tutorials That Are Truly Mesmerizing
Tinder is Trash
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion Features5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 3
Stripes, embroidered separates, and Céline studded boots.Cindy Crawford on Bagels, Instagirls, and Bringing the Supermodel Era to TV
And how she's helping her daughter navigate the pressures of the modeling industry.Zendaya Floated Around Paris Like a Cloud
Dreamy.See Our Exclusive Portfolio From Paris Fashion Week
Another fashion month dispatch from photographer Tomasz Lazar.Coddington, Kawakubo Star in Interview Portfolio
They were photographed for a sweeping 60-page section by Fabien Baron.American Apparel Files for Bankruptcy
Current shareholders, including Dov Charney, will no longer control the company.The Retired Modeling Agent Who Loves Empire
“I started my own agency — we represented Twiggy — but went off to be assistant to the actor Yul Brynner, who was dating my roommate at the time.”Bright Coats for Cold Days
New York women in winter's least-boring outerwear, from bright-green alpaca fur to leopard-print mohair.Céline’s Woman-Friendly Triumph
Phoebe Philo remains in touch with what women want to wear.Watch the Alexander McQueen Livestream
Enjoy!From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
And don't count John Galliano out at Margiela yet.5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 2
Cropped sweaters, a spangled skirt, and more.Jaden Smith and Kesha Partied This Week
Along with Cindy Crawford, Anjelica Huston, Rita Ora, and Lena Dunham.Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Partied in Balmain
Plus: more highlights from Paris Fashion Week's parties, including Jared Leto.See All the Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Featuring wooden platforms, velvet robes, and floor-length ponchos.Who Won Best-Dressed at Milan Fashion Week?
Another city, another people's choice Peacock.Style Smackdown: Olivia Pope vs. Cookie Lyon
Judging the best looks from this week's episodes.Never Mind the Feminist Sound-Bites, Rick Owens Just Showed His Best Clothes Yet
Gymnast models symbolizing "women supporting women" wore mature yet spontaneous looks.Grace Jones Is Having the Wildest Book Tour Ever [NSFW]
She flashed crowds at her signing in New York.