If there being an entire museum in Amsterdam dedicated to the art of handbags weren't enough, perhaps this wonderful evening satchel by Evelyn Van Oosterhout currently on display in the "Beastie Bags" exhibition will put you in a state of shock. Yes, yes — there's nothing so unusual about fabricating accessories out of former animals (croc-skin gloves anyone?). But a purse fashioned out of a taxidermied catch of the day — well that just raises all kinds of hackles, by confronting wearer and observer alike with the sometimes not-so-humane cost of fashion. Downer, huh? Still, Oosterhout is quite the craftie, making bags out of fur, flypaper, and other less-familiar materials — examples of which are on display at the Tassenmuseum and available for purchase. They're conversation starters (or enders), to be sure, but exactly what kind of shoes does one wear with a marine handbag? Manatee skin? We're open to suggestions here.
Matthew Williamson and Gwenyth Are Secret BFFs
Amanda Bynes Enrolled in Fashion-Design School
In the Future, We Will All Dress Like Hipsters
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwenyth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?
- Amanda Bynes Enrolled in Fashion-Design School
- Pregnancy Rates Falling in America
- In the Future, We Will All Dress Like Hipsters
- Uptalk Is for Everyone, at Least in California
- 10 Self-Centered Non-Gifts We Want for Christmas
- Viagra Might Be the New Midol
- 30 Fancy Box Clutches for Holiday Parties
- Marion Cotillard’s Non-Dior Moment
- Best of the Week’s Style Blogs: Winter Sneakers
- Best Bet: Guerlain Crazy Paris Meteorite Pearls
- Glenn O’Brien Is Now a Priest Named Father G.
- Kate Middleton Debuts Sad, Droopy Ponytail