It was with cautious excitement that we strolled into the Tribeca Barnes & Noble last night to hear Lauren Conrad read from her new “novel,” L.A. Candy. While sort of pretending to browse the new fiction, we were told by a stressed Barnes & Noble staffer that there were “1,000” people in the store and some had camped out since 5 a.m. that morning. Guests were sorted by bracelets — of which there were three color-coded categories — and the line stretched through the bookstore. LC arrived, looking radiant as always, and we were informed that she would not take pictures, would not personalize any books (all you could get was a pretty Lauren Conrad signature), and — what do you know? — would not even read from her own roman à clef. She just signed. Using a bullhorn, an event staffer warned that there was a “gaggle of police” on hand to enforce the rules. But nobody seemed to mind too much: She showed up, everyone cheered. “She told me she liked my bookmark,” exclaimed one teary fan. “She was so nice.” So there you have it: There are apparently thousands of people interested in reading — or at least buying — L.A. Candy.
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
- Scarlett Johansson Wore a Bow on Her Stomach
- Best of the Style Blogs: Black-and-White Prints