When we think of vegan clothes or shoes, we tend to picture shapeless sacks, earthy colors, and Birkenstock-esque footwear. Not exactly the fashion statement one hopes to make. But Olsen Haus is breaking that fussy image with its chic, leather-free shoes. Officially launched in August of last year by Elizabeth Olsen (herself a vegan of two years, veggie for nineteen, and an animal-rights advocate for over twenty), the mission of the line is to offer an alternative to leather and skin shoes that is actually wearable. "I wanted to be the example of stylishness being synonymous with being aware of where your item came from, what it's made of, and its impact on the earth, animals, and people," she says. And she herself was frustrated by the lack of options other vegan lines offered. "Why should something, because it is vegan or earth-friendly, always be in neutral colors, or a loose relaxed fit?" Olsen Haus, a featured designer on FadMashion.com, uses materials like ultrasuede, linen, cork, and synthetics, and the response so far has been overwhelmingly positive, with stores (like Moo Shoes, Funky Lala, and Camilla Boutique) placing new orders. And celeb activists like Emily Deschanel are already counted as fans. The collection of boots (ankle and slouchy), cutout heels, flats, and wedges come in various colors, at price points that average between $140 and $250. Olsen plans to expand into bags shortly, so stay tuned. Meanwhile, check out our favorite looks from her fall collection. All items can be bought at olsenhaus.com, or check the site for retail locations.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Help: I’m a People-Pleaser, and I Hate It
Lorde and Taylor Swift Are Now Bosom Buddies
Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times
- The Best and Worst of December Fashion Magazines
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 13 Days to Go!
- Meet SAMMA: A Minimal, Pared-Down Jewelry Line
- Help: I’m a People-Pleaser, and I Hate It
- Lorde and Taylor Swift Are Now Bosom Buddies
- See: Flash Mob Ballet at Van Cleef & Arpels
- Adam Levine Brings You Sexiest Health-Care Alive
- How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- The Year in Street Style: Céline Wins!
- Kate Middleton Dares to Wear a Dress Three Times
- Tell Me Everything You Know About Wool
- FDA Rejects Female Viagra
- Oprah Says Her Kids Would Probably Hate Her
- The Best of Pre-Fall 2014, Continued
- Best Bet: Rebecca Minkoff Coin Pouch