Kate and Laura Mulleavy won what was a much-deserved award last night: Womenswear Designer of the Year at the CFDAs. If you polled any fashion editor in the last few days, they'd have said that everyone deserves to win, and then have whispered, "Rodarte." Indeed, the girls from Pasadena have come a long way from their parents' pool house — well, metaphorically speaking. From their first presentation in spring 2006, when we first got a glimpse of their draping mastery, the pleating work, and the intricate details that make a Rodarte dress so spectacular, up through fall 2009's Mad Max leather thigh-high boots and gorgeous knits, the designers have always delivered truly original looks. Let's take a sartorial stroll back through Rodarte's greatest hits.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Kate Middleton Debuts Sad, Droopy Ponytail
Meet Rouge New York, the Blowout Bar of Makeup
Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
- Glenn O’Brien Is Now a Priest Named Father G.
- Kate Middleton Debuts Sad, Droopy Ponytail
- John Boehner Teaching GOP How to Talk to Chicks
- Meet Rouge New York, the Blowout Bar of Makeup
- Cities Ranked by Fake Instagram Happiness
- See Sexy Seventies Glamour From American Hustle
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 20 Days to Go!
- An Homage to the Lovely, Feisty Barbara Stanwyck
- Wish List: Nicholas Kirkwood’s Bondage Heels
- Kids Struggle With Platonic Friendship, Too
- Victorian Moms Creepin’ in Photo Portraits
- 16 Pretty Finds in Pantone's Radiant Orchid
- Happy Birthday, Joan Didion!
- Will Nixing ‘Fashion Bloggers’ Fix Fashion Week?
- Date Miley Cyrus by Dressing Exactly Like Her