Katrina Lapenne is a dyed-in-the-wool metalsmith and goldsmith. It's not often you hear that suffix, especially not with Williamsburg jewelers. But Lapenne has worked with metals for years, and her line manages to be cool without being super-hip. Her love of wielding a torch and hammer (hey, who doesn't love that?) combined forces with her obsession for detail, and a jewelry designer was born. Her eponymous line is a mix of gold and silver, stones, and intricate shapes that are organic with a touch of rock and roll (by way of Cleopatra). "My two newest collections — Luxor and Arabesque — are both inspired by Arabic architecture and decoration," Lapenne told us. "I'm interested by the influence Arabic styles had throughout Europe in the early Renaissance — everything from ironwork to church decoration. Especially the palaces and medieval architecture of Spain and Italy." That influence is apparent in the fish-scale necklaces and gold-disk earrings that could easily be antiques. And though the prices are steep, a lot of the pieces we liked were the one-of-a-kind items, and most come in a less-expensive silver or gold plating. Her jewelry is carried at NY Adorned, Catbird, Charles Nolan, and will be showcased on an upcoming comedy show on IFC called Z Rock. She's also a featured designer on FadMashion.com. Click ahead to check out some of our favorite pieces.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Cannes Day 3: Cotillard, Kroes, and a Box Dress
- Male Gaze: We All Pine for Chris Pine
- Galliano’s Latest Comeback Move: A TV Interview?
- Report: Aslaug Magnúsdóttir Out at Moda Operandi
- See J.Crew’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Collection
- Cannes: Mara, Kidman, and a Wet Red Carpet
- Zhang Ziyi’s Very Versatile Pixie Cut at Cannes
- Made in America: 18 National Treasures to Try
- Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- Fake the Bake With Twelve New Self-Tanners
- Rooney Mara Finally Lands Major Fashion Contract
- Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- Planned Parenthood Defunder Running for Senate
- Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament