Wendy Nichol is three seasons into her eponymous line and can already count Scarlett Johansson and models Kim Noorda and Elizabeth Jagger among her many fans. Not too shabby, considering she is completely self-taught. Following a four-year stint as a buyer and designer at Club Monaco, Nichol left to pursue her own label, which debuted in fall '08. Her first collection was a mix of tough leather cuffs, feminine pearl necklaces, and delicate rings, all accented with her now-trademark studs. Nichol’s youngest daughter, Sofia, served as the look-book model, glammed up with red lips and perfecting a pose worthy of a Jurgen Teller–shot Little Marc ad. Nichol shopped the pieces around and landed at Brooklyn's Bird. Fast forward a year later and the likes of Bergdorf and Barneys Co-op are stocking the ever-expanding line, which now also includes bags. Citing cowboys and Native Americans as her main inspiration, Nichol's fall collection consists of fringed clutches and horsehair-accented jewelry named after chiefs and princess, outlaws, and notable cowboys and cowgirls. The addition of chains and spikes toughen up Western-inspired pieces, giving it a slick urban vibe. Prices begin at $100 for small studded earrings and top out at $700 for a large fringed saddle bag, with all items sourced and constructed locally. Check out some of our favorite looks from her line.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- The Cut’s Week in Review
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
- Scarlett Johansson Wore a Bow on Her Stomach