Celebrating 100 years in New York, the historic jeweler and watchmaker has been dazzling the world with big, beautiful gems for the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie O, and our own MObama for her official White House portrait. But it is the watches that have an enduring appeal, based on fabulous design and expert craftsmanship. Unlike the fantasy world of big gems, a watch is a daily reminder of where we need to be. Here are the top five reasons we love Cartier watches.
1. The designs are timeless, so to speak.
2. You get bold design combined with impeccable craftsmanship.
3. If you ever need to get a repair, which is rare, the service department is fast and courteous.
4. It's an investment buy that you'll keep as an heirloom.
5. Wear it in place of a bracelet; it's just as chic.
From left: Cartier Tank Française watch in stainless steel, $3,875; Tank Solo Cartier watch, $2,300; Pasha de Cartier in stainless steel, $5,150; available at Cartier, 653 Fifth Ave., at 52nd St. (212-446-3400), and 828 Madison Ave., at 69th St. (212-472-6400).