Don't know if you've noticed, but there's this little coffee klatch going on over at the U.N., and sidewalk protesters and delegates alike are letting the world press know of their various issues with Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who in just the last few months has riled the planet by claiming victory during a questionable election, putting down democratic protests with undue force, jailing the children of dissident Imams, possibly killing journalists, calling the Holocaust a "trick of the Jews," and being just an all-around unpleasant guy. Well, add shopkeepers and mannequin manufacturers to the list of the aggrieved. Today, the state police — who often enforce Sharia law at the end of a nightstick, warned store owners through the government's press organ, the IRNA, that "Using unusual mannequins exposing the body curves and with the heads without Hijabs (Muslim veil) are prohibited to be used in the shops." Just to be clear, that means that uncovered or extra-sexy plastic women with painted-on eyes are considered a threat to the public morals of Tehran's increasingly popular shopping districts. Draconian, sure — but at least there are some things Iranians won't have to worry about.
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- The Cut’s Week in Review
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
- Scarlett Johansson Wore a Bow on Her Stomach