The fashion industry has been infatuated with Goth for about a year, which the popularity of Twilight and True Blood has no doubt only encouraged. But the tides seem to be turning, pun intended, and the industry seems to be latching on to a different fantasy figurehead: the mermaid, whose comeback we hoped for almost two weeks ago. On Sunday Thom Browne showed a warrior-mermaid–inspired spring 2010 collection. Today nifty tights company Bebaroque sent out an invitation to view their "Married to a Mermaid" spring 2010 collection. Unsurprisingly, the burgeoning infatuation had a moment in Zoolander in 2001, just like Alexander McQueen's fall 2009 Derelicte spectacular. Though Derek Zoolander was adamant about the distinction between mermaids and mermen, it is unclear whether the industry's lexicon has room for the latter. Even Thom Browne called them mermaids.
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb