The week before last, Jesus Luz D.J.-ed at a party in the penthouse of the Hotel on Rivington. This was the night of P. Diddy's birthday and the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show after-party at the classy, illustrious M2 nightclub. But in addition to us, numerous reporters from outlets including the New York Times and Life and Style (who the Times mocked, perhaps out of their own embarrassment by association) chose watching Jesus preen above turntables over mingling with hungry, overly body-shimmered models or drinking Champagne in Diddy's honor. Because Jesus Luz is the man, the model, the boyfriend of the moment, and now is his time to shine brighter than the gold-leaf letters that Diddy probably had lain in calligraphy on his birthday cake.
So! It's high time for a serious profile on this increasingly serious, very good-looking fellow. Allow the Times to clear up a few things you thought you knew about him.
• His name is pronounced "Zhay-ZOOSE. Loose." Like Zeus the Greek God!
• The day of the W shoot on which he met Madonna was the last his agent in Brazil ever heard from him.
• Modeling in Brazil, Jesus made $500 a day. Currently, some places are willing to pay $15,000 for him to D.J. a 90-minute set.
• Madonna doesn't give him an allowance, he says.
• "I don’t talk about my girlfriend," he says.
• Jesus doesn't think of himself as a slash, but a career man. "It’s good to have two careers going on, modeling and D.J.ing. I feel good," he says.
• Before Madonna man-napped him, he had studied Buddhism and yoga. An ex-girlfriend got him into Kabbalah, which he says has made him "strong."
• ... as has working out! Which he does five days a week with a trainer from the Tracy Anderson camp (no word on how awkward that is now).
• He's friends with Marc Jacobs's fiancé and fellow Brazilian Lorenzo Martone.
• He really likes us! "I like the strong energy of the people in the city and how they work and run behind your ideals here," he says. How could we not support a 22-year-old hunky Brazilian slash who ends his D.J. sets with a mash-up of Madonna's "Revolver" and his own track, "We Come From Light," while making faces like the one pictured here?
Most Viewed Stories
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
Los Angeles Police Confirm Active Criminal Investigation Against Derrick Rose
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.