The week before last, Jesus Luz D.J.-ed at a party in the penthouse of the Hotel on Rivington. This was the night of P. Diddy's birthday and the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show after-party at the classy, illustrious M2 nightclub. But in addition to us, numerous reporters from outlets including the New York Times and Life and Style (who the Times mocked, perhaps out of their own embarrassment by association) chose watching Jesus preen above turntables over mingling with hungry, overly body-shimmered models or drinking Champagne in Diddy's honor. Because Jesus Luz is the man, the model, the boyfriend of the moment, and now is his time to shine brighter than the gold-leaf letters that Diddy probably had lain in calligraphy on his birthday cake.
So! It's high time for a serious profile on this increasingly serious, very good-looking fellow. Allow the Times to clear up a few things you thought you knew about him.
• His name is pronounced "Zhay-ZOOSE. Loose." Like Zeus the Greek God!
• The day of the W shoot on which he met Madonna was the last his agent in Brazil ever heard from him.
• Modeling in Brazil, Jesus made $500 a day. Currently, some places are willing to pay $15,000 for him to D.J. a 90-minute set.
• Madonna doesn't give him an allowance, he says.
• "I don’t talk about my girlfriend," he says.
• Jesus doesn't think of himself as a slash, but a career man. "It’s good to have two careers going on, modeling and D.J.ing. I feel good," he says.
• Before Madonna man-napped him, he had studied Buddhism and yoga. An ex-girlfriend got him into Kabbalah, which he says has made him "strong."
• ... as has working out! Which he does five days a week with a trainer from the Tracy Anderson camp (no word on how awkward that is now).
• He's friends with Marc Jacobs's fiancé and fellow Brazilian Lorenzo Martone.
• He really likes us! "I like the strong energy of the people in the city and how they work and run behind your ideals here," he says. How could we not support a 22-year-old hunky Brazilian slash who ends his D.J. sets with a mash-up of Madonna's "Revolver" and his own track, "We Come From Light," while making faces like the one pictured here?
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
The World’s Easiest Way to Highlight Your Face
A Pregnant Supermodel Explains What She Eats
Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
Meet the Prom Queen of Instagram
Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
Guess Who Renovated This Grand Upper West Side Penthouse
‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
From Our Partners
How Demi Lovato Embraced This Body “Problem” We All Have
Thrillist: Things No Self-Respecting Adult Should Be Doing on Facebook
Next Week/This Week: Watching the Watchmen
Who What Wear
The Zara Outfit Every Girl In New York City Is Wearing
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCéline's Woman-Friendly Triumph
Phoebe Philo remains in touch with what women want to wear.Watch the Akris Livestream
Enjoy!From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
And don't count John Galliano out at Margiela yet.5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 2
Cropped sweaters, a spangled skirt, and more.Jaden Smith and Kesha Partied This Week
Along with Cindy Crawford, Anjelica Huston, Rita Ora, and Lena Dunham.Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Partied in Balmain
Plus: more highlights from Paris Fashion Week's parties, including Jared Leto.See All the Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Featuring wooden platforms, velvet robes, and floor-length ponchos.Who Won Best-Dressed at Milan Fashion Week?
Another city, another people's choice Peacock.See Our Exclusive Portfolio From Paris Fashion Week
Photographer Tomasz Lazar's latest dispatch from Fashion Month.Style Smackdown: Olivia Pope vs. Cookie Lyon
Judging the best looks from this week's episodes.
Gymnast models symbolizing "women supporting women" wore mature yet spontaneous looks.Grace Jones Is Having the Wildest Book Tour Ever [NSFW]
She flashed crowds at her signing in New York.Tom Ford and Lady Gaga Turn the Runway Into a Disco
The designer is showing his newest collection in a video.All About Dior’s Spring 2016 Show
Rihanna, lavender walls, and pointy flats.Cecilia Dean on Her Latest Immersive Fashion Project
A downtown art event with DVF and Proenza Schouler.Dior Built a Huge Flower Wall for Its Show
Just breathe that in.The Selfie-Stick Fashion Generation
Today’s young designers focus too often on their feelings.Rick Owens Dressed Models in ... Other Models
Harnesses were involved.And Now, Celebrity Wax Figures Dressed in Lederhosen
And other Austrian garb. It's Oktober!Nicki Minaj Has the Most-Liked Photos From MFW
And other tidbits from Instagram.