So the Oscar short list for documentaries was announced this week, and on the rather long list (fifteen films!) was Valentino The Last Emperor. Cheers for a fashion flick and VaVa's five pugs! But whither The September Issue? Surely one of the most engrossing films of the year is worthy of a nod? The Vogue flick has earned, so far, $3,747,341 in theaters, and is still playing. Valentino made roughly half that, with just $1,755,134. It stands to reason that more people saw Anna's movie. Populism, we all know, is rarely a reason to win an Oscar. But! Is this a case of Vanity Fair triumphing over Vogue? Valentino was helmed by Matt Tyrnauer, a correspondent for VF. Is an invite to Graydon's Oscar party so coveted that the Academy is willing to snub Anna? Oh, to be a fly on Condé's elevator wall ... [Official site]
The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Mickey Boardman
Meet PS Dept, ‘the Genius Bar for Fashion’
Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
- Why Are Feminist Critics Hung Up on Playboy?
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Mickey Boardman
- California Revenge Pornographer Gets Five Years
- Dakota Fanning Looked Like a Luxe Chanel Piñata
- Meet PS Dept, ‘the Genius Bar for Fashion’
- Best Bet: Satomi Kawakita Emerald Ring
- Sheryl Sandberg’s Favorite Shampoo Commercial
- Kate Winslet Just Had a Baby Boy
- Kim Kardashian Insta-Idolizes Elizabeth Taylor
- Taylor Swift Uses Her Phone to Put on Makeup
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 15 Days to Go!
- The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
- New York Winter Weddings Issue Is Live!
- Wish List: 3.1 Phillip Lim’s Quinn Loafer
- Daniel Radcliffe Has a Greasy New Bob