Jeggings really took off this year. Fast-fashion retailers like Topshop and H&M picked up on the jeans-and-leggings combination back in spring 2009, and since then, they just haven't gone away. It didn't help when celebrities like Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Whitney Port all modeled the painted-on denim look, which seems to flatter very little, despite being worn so much. Now the Oxford English Dictionary announced that the combination word made the book's new-word wait list, among other terms like "unfriend" and "staycation," both of which seem so real compared to "jeggings." It's not officially in the dictionary until publishers decide that it has become a permanent fixture of the English language, so there is still the possibility that the world will reject these. But with the path they're on right now, jeggings are heading right in the direction of Uggs: here to stay, forever.
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb