The French may be snobby to a fault, but don't they have a right to be? Their clothes are amazing, Carine Roitfeld walks among them daily, they eat butter fearlessly, they get to take
long actual vacations, and they act like they don't care about pedestrian things like exercising or the harmful effects of smoking. A lassez-faire attitude in France seems honest, whereas in America everyone knows it's a mask for a multitude of deep-seated insecurities and nagging daily fears about how one's hair looks on a given moment. Inès de la Fressange is the quintessential effortlessly stylish French woman. The ex-model and 52-year-old mother of two was once a muse to Karl Lagerfeld, and recently walked the runway for Jean Paul Gaultier. She's the kind of French woman who probably gets out of bed without brushing her hair, throws on a cardigan and a necklace or two and looks like she stepped out of a haircolor commercial, even when dropping her kid at school at 8:30 in the morning. But we can't hate her because, as the Independent reveals, she's amazing and delightfully blunt.
• She eats club sandwiches.
• She told a British reporter, "I imagine Bridget Jones working in an office and dying to go and buy a pair of shoes at lunchtime, you know. French women have a kind of arrogance. It's: 'I ignore fashion, I do my own thing.'"
• At a private Chanel viewing, she greeted Anna Wintour by changing into the same red suit the Vogue editor wore along with dark sunglasses and mimicking her to her face. Anna laughed.
• She says the highlight of modeling for her was "when I stopped. It's boring to be a model."
• She loves flats: "[S]ome people think that shoes are ladders. No man is going to say, 'I would love you so much more if you were 10cm taller'. Women are suffering, you know. Elegance is about feeling nice, how can you feel nice when you have shoes that are like a prosthesis?"
• At 51 she walked the runway for Jean Paul Gaultier. "There he was showing that he likes all kinds of women. I think people were clapping for that too, to show that it's possible to be fine at 51, as I was then, without botox." She adds, "[It's] impossible to find a woman who is more than 30 years old in magazines. It's like being older is hidden, there's no one for women to identify with."
Most Viewed Stories
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.