We first noticed it at Preen, where model after model strode out in dresses that looked perfectly suited to a pregnant woman. Things with an extra-large fold or tent of fabric in the frontal region ideal for hiding a growing fetus. Jason Wu also showed a babydoll silhouette on his fall 2010 runway, along with Diane Von Furstenberg, and then — in a perfect climax and explosion of the trend — Proenza Schouler sent out a whole bevy of them the day before New York Fashion Week ended. The industry is trying to argue that a womanly shape is back in fashion. Maybe this is one way of proving it — "Hey, customers, here are some dresses that will gladly fit your curves." (But not quite flaunt them, and that is key.) Take a look at fall's babydolls in the slideshow.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life
- Party Pics: The First Wave From Art Basel Miami
- Gumbel Makes Barneys Race Joke to Barneys CEO
- Tyra Banks Is 40!
- Kimye Plans Super-Subtle Wedding at Versailles
- Liv Tyler Reminds Us to Say Please and Thank You
- Used Princess Di Clothes Sell for $140,000