Jessica Simpson returned to reality television last night with her new show The Price of Beauty. On it, Jessica is on a search for her own inner beauty, by traveling the world and discovering what different cultures consider beautiful. And we're along for the ride. So are her best friends CaCee Cobb and Ken Paves, the latter of whom is her hairdresser and makeup artist. Oh, the paradox of having your personal primper on an international tour focusing on inner beauty. (Paves basically built his career off selling people on Jessica's look. Shall we even bring up the Jessica-inspired ten-piece clip-in hair extensions that cost $295?!) But, ahem, let's continue.
The kickoff episode took the trio to Thailand, where they experienced a Thai massage, laughed at Buddhists, and ate a pig that they picked to get slaughtered. They also met a former singer who suffered from skin discoloration after trying whitening cream and met women who stretched their necks out with twenty-pound rings. What we can gather from Jessica's search is that sometimes finding inner beauty is a stunning journey, and other times the quest has an unattractive side.
• Jessica introduced herself: "People know me as a singer and as a fashion designer." Singer? Yes. Fashion designer? GIRL, PLEASE. No, they don't.
• When Jessica and Ken got Thai massages, we watched as petite female masseuses kneed them in their backs, butts, arms, legs, and everywhere possible. While reflecting on her pain, Jessica said: "I thought Thai massages had happy endings. I was just wondering where mine was." A corny joke gone sour! How can we not think of John Mayer when she says this? He already told the whole world about how happy her endings can be.
• Jessica complained about her heels twice. There were even close-ups focusing on how unpractical, tall, and uncomfortable her footwear looks. And when you start to think this woman is nuts for wearing five-inch heels to visit a Buddhist temple where you're not even allowed to wear shoes inside, a commercial comes on that says "Shop Jessica's Look." Because everything she wore was from her "designer" collection, at which point this show devolved into one big clothing infomercial. Papa Joe must be behind this.
• After riding in a tuk tuk around Bangkok and describing it to viewers as wagonlike transportation, Jessica stated that she has no idea what a tuk tuk is. Fail.
• After riding on an elephant, she said: "His hair looks like a scrotum" and "It definitely felt like you were high up." These are the kinds of profound, philosophical statements that lead to flashbacks of her MTV show The Newlyweds.
• She picked a pig that was subsequently slaughtered and cooked over an open fire. If she really wanted to use a metaphor for her relationships, this opened the door for it. Alas, she missed it.
PRETTY LITTLE THINGS
• Jessica sang the opening song, named "Who We Are," which includes lyrics like "Words can cut so deep / Weighing down on me / Time and time I see how vicious the world can be." Preach the truth, Jess! Words are cruel. This is like an anthem for the middle-school years, and we're pretty sure it's only a matter of time before every seventh-grade girl buys this for their ringtones.
• Sonia Couling, the trio's host in Bangkok, was the former host of Thailand's Next Top Model. She was so graceful.
• The tender, tearful moment shared between Jessica and a woman who was a singer and bleached her skin with black-market whitening creams. It brought attention to a very serious issue about what women do to their skin that causes major damage, and how it's different in every culture. While Americans obsess over tanning, Thais obsess over whitening. And in each case, it's dangerous.
• Jessica giggled during a meditation session with a Buddhist monk after she'd been sitting Indian-style for 40 minutes. That took patience! She only scored points because she didn't intentionally try to offend him, and because she was humble enough to admit that her chuckles were a huge, HUGE eff-up.
• In the Chiang Rai Province of Thailand, they visited women who, as part of tradition, stretch their necks out with rings that weigh twenty pounds, which alters the bone structure in their rib cages and shoulders. After CaCee and Jessica tried on necklaces, Ken did, too, and it sends the village women into a laughing fit because men don't traditionally put on the neckwear. At long last, Ken wasn't deadweight — he contributed!
• Jessica says "Tradition is beautiful in Thailand" at the very end. Sometimes it is.
What else was pretty and ugly about The Price of Beauty? Tell us in the comments.
Most Viewed Stories
I Worked at Fyre Festival. It Was Always Going to Be a Disaster.
Famous Guests Were Reportedly Warned Not to Go to Fyre Festival in Advance
Life Lessons From the Great Fyre Festival Disaster
Don’t Follow Pippa Middleton’s ‘Extremely Restrictive’ Wedding Diet
Female Dragonflies Fake Their Own Deaths to Avoid Males
11 Pairs of Unflattering Pants That Will Make You Look Ugly-Cool
The Kardashians Just Broke Up With the Stylist They’ve Been Using for a Decade
Succumb to the Siren Song of Unflattering Pants
Ivanka Trump Reportedly Bribed Her Angry Neighbors With Baked Goods
Millie Bobby Brown Has Some Simple Makeup Tips She’d Like to Share
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesRevisiting Ellen’s Groundbreaking Coming-Out Episode 20 Years Later
▶️ “Why do I have to be so ashamed? Why can’t I just say the truth? I mean, be who I am.”I Worked at Fyre Festival. It Was Always Going to Be a Disaster.
“We were standing in an empty gravel pit trying to figure out how to build a festival village from scratch”Lebron Debuts His Breezy Summer Look
Inspirational dressing from Mr. James.The Kardashians Just Broke Up With the Stylist They’ve Been Using for a Decade
They’re no longer working with Monica Rose.An Intimate Look Inside the Homes of LGBTQ Americans
Tom Atwood spent 15 years shooting portraits for his new book Kings and Queens in Their Castles.DVF’s New Wardrobe Essentials Are Better Than Basic
DVF's new vision for styling prints with Essentials. #adIt’s 2017 and Sephora Just Launched a Bye Felicia Lip Balm
Timely.Emma Watson and Katie Holmes Partied This Week
Plus: Susan Sarandon, Rita Ora, Julia Garner.The Best Bras for Big Boobs on Amazon According to Reviewers
Make the most of that two-day shipping.Why Wallflowers Don’t Make Friends
Location is everything when you’re trying to meet people.
Because you all want to look like a meme bird.These Tweets Will Make You Very Glad That You Didn’t Spend Thousands of Dollars to Get Stranded in the Bahamas
Instead of the luxury cabanas it promised, the event used disaster-relief tents.Famous Guests Were Reportedly Warned Not to Go to Fyre Festival in Advance
“They called all the A-list names and the modeling agencies and told them not to come.”Viola Davis Credits African Tribeswomen for Her Acting Career
Viola Davis knows how to give a good speech.Mona Lisa’s Face Was Everywhere at the Louis Vuitton Party Last Night
A new pop-up store features the brand's collaboration with artist Jeff Koons.Sylvan Esso Loves to Cry in Whole Foods
Their new album, What Now, might make you do the same.5 Non-Ugly, Highly Effective Minimizing Bras
Because tailoring clothes can get expensive.Stories Inspired by the Vanity Fair International Best-Dressed List Poll
Some more small stories.Trump Is Appointing a Prominent Anti-Abortion Activist to a Top Health and Human Services Job
Charmaine Yoest is the former president of Americans United for Life.The Biggest Fashion Misses of the Met Gala Over the Years
Bunny ears, flame headdresses, bullfighter outfits, and more.