The Met Gala starts, like, now! In moments guests will begin arriving on the red carpet for the Oscars of the East Coast, the city's most fashionable event, or as we like to think of it, an event with a red carpet that's actually interesting, and where 90 percent of the celebs walking it don't just look like pageant contestants. We'll be posting shots of the famous people as they arrive, but until then, here are some other fun bits of information to tide your inner red carpet/Anna Wintour/Vogue addict over:
• Anna Wintour is considerably blonder! What will she wear tonight to offset the new dye job? Something icy? Or maybe sunny? A bright-yellow rain slicker in case the skies spew more moisture onto her perfectly blow-dried bob? In any case, at least now we know spring is really here.
• Speaking of, Soto-Ward's biggest fear has manifested! It's been raining on and off all day, turning the Met's environs into a suffocating, soupy mess. Even if the rain holds off, hairdressers have 50 percent humidity to contend with.
• Lady Gaga is performing, according to Guest of a Guest. Last week we revealed she will be dressed by Prada. So somewhere, right now, probably in a hotel room littered with cans of yellow hair paint, expensive bottled diet iced tea, and Skittles, tailors are contorting the diva into a garment we'll bet is made from something plastic-looking along with other unconventional materials (we're hoping for edible Swiftlet nests that Lady Gaga eats in lieu of whatever food they serve her).
• The reason the Brooklyn Museum is loaning clothes to the Met for the Costume Institute's new exhibit — which is what tonight is all about, lest all this yellow hair distract you — is because it can't afford to maintain them. But the Brooklyn Museum, which still has some of the collection, may have the better exhibit.
• Sylvana Soto-Ward, who planned the Gala for the first time this year, told us the guests will dine in the Met's American Wing, in accordance with the exhibit's theme, surrounded by fabric panels lit to make the room feel like a sunset. Also, the tablecloths will be ivory. So no spilling, you crazy celebrities you.
Most Viewed Stories
Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
From Our Partners
The Zoe Report
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesNaomi Watts and Liev Schreiber Are Separating After 11 Years Together
“The best way forward for us as a family is to separate as a couple.”Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
Preview the book Brigid Berlin: Polaroids.Morning Sickness May Suck, But It’s Actually a Sign of a Healthy Pregnancy
An upside to the nausea.2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
Vogue called blogging “pathetic,” and bloggers were not pleased.I Can’t Believe I Like This Victoria’s Secret Beauty Product
And why you’ll love it, too.Cheap Thrill: The Perfect Pair of High-Waisted Jeans
Swedish denim label Dr. Denim is here to make denim shopping a lot easier.Vanderpump Rules Drama Is the Only Constant in This Crazy Thing We Call Life
Season five arrives on November 7.Emily Kinney on Life After The Walking Dead
Her new show Conviction premieres next Monday on ABC.5 Things on Sale That You’ll Actually Want to Buy: From Saint Laurent Jeans to an Isabel Marant Sweater
We dug through the internet to bring you some great deals.Here’s One Reason Why Women Are Underrepresented in Politics
It starts at the local level.
They also have a Fourth of July block party.My Favorite Fruit-Shaped Hand Cream Doubles As a Pill Holder
Can also hold gum, almonds, and paper-clips.Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
It was a good effort.A Weekend of Hair Envy With Rubi Jones
Including an impromptu Weasley family look for a Potter-themed party.All It Took for Anti-Vaxxer to Admit She Was Wrong Was Her Entire Family Getting Sick
Rotavirus made her change her tune.Aparna Nancherla on Sad Girl Twitter, Period Tech, and Vocal Fry
The comedian has a new season of Womanhood coming out soon.Tom Hiddleston Caught Deep in Conversation With a Dog
Hiddleston's canine companions steal the show in his new Gucci ads.More of the Best Street Style From Milan Fashion Week
Sleeveless fur, seashell coats, and Jourdan Dunn in schoolgirl plaid.To the Eternal Relief of Amanda Chantal Bacon, Father John Misty Has Deactivated His Twitter and Instagram
Amanda Chantal Bacon’s good crystal vibes have worked in her favor.Decadent Jewels in the Midst of Destruction
Where diamonds and rubies collide with the grotesque.