In the latest chapter of American Apparel’s discrimination against non-skinny, non-hot people, an unnamed source has leaked a transcript from a May 18 conference call during which retail managers were instructed to submit “full-body head-to-toe” photographs of job applicants for approval. “Your looks determine your position and pay rate, not how effective you are at your job,” the source told Gawker. Even more sketchily, staff recruiters are supposed to send the photos from their personal e-mail, not the store account. The company reiterated that they screen purely for personal style, not physical beauty; applicants may be turned away if their looks fit into the fuzzy category of “off-brand.” [Gawker]
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 12 Fisherman Sweaters for Winter
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 17 Days to Go!
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb