Denim is loved by both rock and rollers and Casual Friday office drones, yet the jean dress has suffered a somewhat marginalized fate, thanks in great part to its unfortunate association with OshKosh B'gosh and the kind of Goldie Hawn-in-Overboard-ish dames who hang out at backwoods bowling-alley bars. No more! These days, brands like Surface to Air, Cheap Monday, and Alexander Wang are whipping out sculptural denim minis done up with endearing ruffles, sharp pleats, fetching necklines, cool cutouts, and R-rated cocktail-hour silhouettes. Click ahead to see our 25 favorite takes on the new era of dressy denim.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth
Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Science Asks: Is Sex a Workout?
- ‘Hard-Wired’ Sex Differences Are Meaningless
- Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth
- Lena Dunham and Judy Blume Talk Sixth-Grade Lies
- Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
- Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once
- WSJ Columnist: Time Warner Is a ‘Little Girl’
- Watch Lily McMenamy Do Crazy-Ass Yoga in Céline
- Katy Perry Says Volunteer for the Insta-Pix
- Shailene Woodley’s Beauty Mantra: ‘You Do You’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 21 Days to Go!
- A First Glimpse of Beyoncé and Jay’s Vegan Life