Barneys has been without a CEO since Howard Socol resigned in 2008 amid the store's troubling debt concerns. Former Gucci president and CEO Mark Lee will assume the role on September 1. Lee, who is 47, has worked for Saks, Giorgio Armani, and Yves Saint Laurent. Over the course of the economic meltdown, Barneys' value plummeted, from the $942 million that parent company Istithmar purchased it for a few years ago to $350 million. The store also almost didn't get its deliveries one season because analysts feared they wouldn't have the money to pay for them. And oh! There were also those layoffs and that time experts said they probably could have avoided all these issues if they'd just hired a CEO and centralized management, instead of putting the company in the hands of seven executives. Good luck, Mark! At least this is one of those jobs where he can say he has a lot to work with.
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel
- Newly Vegan Beyoncé Covers Her Body in Pizza
- Matthew Williamson and Gwyneth Are Secret BFFs
- Why Should Fluid Sexuality Be Women-Only?