Halle Berry is on the cover of September's Vogue, and poses for a solo spread inside the magazine, but she's not a model, she's an actress. Black models appeared with greater frequency in this year's September issues than they did in magazines a couple of years ago. But according to Jezebel, which tallied the number of black models appearing in this year's major American September editorial features, most still aren't landing solo editorials. Vogue cast black models for multi-model editorials, but none for her own spread. Meanwhile Cosmopolitan, Harper's Bazaar, Lucky, and Marie Claire cast no black models for September editorials.
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve