Once an awkward First Daughter, Chelsea Clinton rocked an ivory strapless Vera Wang gown at her wedding yesterday, showing off toned arms and a lovely smile. The dress featured a draped bodice with a swirling silk skirt and train, which Clinton complemented with a bouquet of white roses. Her cute-as-hell husband, Marc Mezvinsky, wore a custom wool-mohair-blend tuxedo, shirt, tie, and shoes by Burberry. (Christopher Bailey was even at the wedding, looking quite suave himself.) For the reception, Chelsea changed into an ivory silk tulle Grecian dress with a crisscross back and a black grosgrain belt, according to the Times, and her bridesmaids wore strapless Vera Wang gowns in lavender chiffon. Wang hasn't commented on the wedding dress, but the Times speculates that the gown cost $20,000.
So much ado has been made about Chelsea's wedding, in spite of, or perhaps because of the fact that she's always seemed relatively normal for being the scion of a political dynasty. (This is a girl who regularly steals Wi-Fi at Starbucks and took a job at an investment firm.) Despite once being publicly mocked for her looks by John McCain, this girl survived her parents' crazy careers, stayed largely out of the spotlight, found herself a nice Jewish boy, and worked her ass off at spinning classes for weeks leading up to the wedding. It's no wonder everyone has been rooting for her — and judging by the critics' reactions, she didn't disappoint. Click ahead to read the almost unanimously positive reviews, with the obvious exception of one Cathy Horyn.
• "The word ‘exquisite’ has been in circulation very much this weekend. Ooh!" [Fashionista]
• "On her wedding day, the bride’s elegant updo —only accentuated her lithesome frame from months of SoulCycle and Core Fusion exercises classes." [WWD]
• "Like true American royalty, she wore a show-stopper of a dress ... The total effect, bridal fashion experts agree: perfection." [NYDN]
• "Chelsea looked every inch a modern-day princess," says Millie Martini Bratten, editor in chief of Brides magazine. "Chelsea was the epitome of bridal style today — effortless ease, yet polished and confident." [NYDN]
• "It was a flattering dress on a woman with pretty shoulders and a small waist, but it was not an especially high-styled choice ... The dress ... suggested a completely different relationship with fashion — even, perhaps, an ambivalent one ... We do not really know anything about Ms. Clinton’s style, and in a way her pretty dress, with its modestly embellished waist and romantic layers, reflects a woman whose focus is not directed in that way, and maybe is not that vain." [Critic's Notebook/NYT]
• Chelsea is trending on Twiter this morning, so check out other takes there. [Twitter]
• Wang, who attended the wedding, released this statement: "It was an honor and a privilege to dress Chelsea on her wedding day. I have watched her grow into a beautiful, grounded, and caring young woman. She radiated joy, youth, and happiness. I wish Chelsea and Marc a long, happy and healthy life together."
Most Viewed Stories
Rereading The Handmaid’s Tale, One Month Into the Trump Era
Why Did Everyone Act Like I Was Crazy When I Decided to Have a Baby in My 20s?
Ask Polly: I Overshared My Way Out of a Boyfriend!
Kellyanne Conway Was Honestly Too Busy House Hunting to Appear on TV
What, Exactly, Are Melania and Ivanka Trump Trying to Sell?
Please Enjoy This Juicy Mystery About a Woman Cheating in a Half-Marathon
Malia Obama Went to the Club
Lululemon’s Former CEO Really Needs His Own Bravo Show
The Supreme-Branded Metrocard Is Here
Get Ready for Kanye Makeup
Latest News from The CutJustin Bieber Will Not Rest Until the World Acknowledges His Basketball Skills
Watch him ball. Someone. Please. Anyone.13 Under-Eye Creams That Actually Work
Nothing obliterates dark circles, but these come close.See Sublime Watercolors of the Dior Runway
Just before Paris Fashion Week, a new book features illustrations of Dior’s designs over the years.You’ll Never Guess Who Has the Most Orgasms
Surprise!Taylor Swift Is Not Going to Be Happy About This New Friendship
Katy Perry and Ed Sheeran seem to be having a pretty good time together.Excuse Me While I Lose My Mind Over These Vetements Shoes
Peak shoe addiction.Being Too Lazy to Get Bang Trims Is Cool Now
Behold, at Prada.WATCH: The World’s First Transgender Doll Is Modeled After This Teenager
And it’s inspired by a 16-year-old.Moschino Brings Us Garbage Couture for a Garbage World
No recycled ideas here.Steve Bannon Wore Both His Collared Shirts to CPAC
And a t-shirt. And a blazer.
Her observations are…yikes.According to Google, These Are Our Greatest Skin-Care Concerns
A new report points to an obsession with sheet masks.Witches Are Planning to Hex Trump This Friday
The Facebook group “Mass Spell to Bind Donald Trump Feb. 24th” invites witches to cast a binding spell on Trump.The Only Choice for the First Day of Milan Fashion Week Was a Gucci Outfit
The brand truly makes the street-style bait.The Story of the Dress That Might Win La La Land the Costume Oscar
Designer Mary Zophres tells the story behind Emma Stone’s iconic yellow dress.Miuccia Prada Went Crafty and Cozy for Her Show Today
With a set that included beds as seats.This Is How You Wear Pajamas to Work
The chicest look from day one of Milan Fashion Week.The Best Street Style From Milan Fashion Week
Hari Nef’s dog wore Gucci.Kellyanne Conway Is Still Trying to Convince America That Trump Is Good for Women
Her CPAC interview was a weird form of doublethink.Casey Affleck Finally Addresses the Horrors of Circuses
The Oscars are four days away.